Fly Tying
Just Tie

How do you hook a salmon?

I went fishing for salmon for the second time in my life and I got a bite (3 taps) I waited for 4 seconds then lifted slowly but nothing was attached to the line :( .

All comments and help welcome,

Jason.

"a bite (3 taps) I waited for 4 seconds"

wow, you have more patience than me. If i think i have a bite, i set the hook without any waiting. of course, i've only caught a handful of salmon in my life.

When I have a bite i wait for maybe one second then I raise my rod "slowly", by slowly Im talking about I dont strike but raise it rather fast :) It all depends on the circumstances. Slow drift - 1 sec and then raise the rod slowly. If I fish upstream for a salmon, I raise the rod like Im fishing for a trout... strike it right away.

Palli

Honestly when most salmon "HIT" setting the hook is a forgone consequence in most cases. Did you see the salmon take? Taps could also be a smaller trout, parr/smolt, sucker etc....

I've been taught to mutter "god save the queen" before lifting into the fish. that being said, i think it is largely in the lap of the gods

I've been taught to mutter "god save the queen" before lifting into the fish. that being said, i think it is largely in the lap of the gods

I concur!

Bill

I know. But billb is not. If he was in Iran Id expect him to say "Allah save the mullahs" Or if he was in Canada he'd say " God bless Canada eh" etc to each his own..... :lol:

Good point Day5... But I think we shouldnt get off the topic here any more than we already have. Sorry for using your post Just tie.

I know. But billb is not. If he was in Iran Id expect him to say "Allah save the mullahs" Or if he was in Canada he'd say " God bless Canada eh" etc to each his own..... :lol:

Was agreeing with the length of pause before lifting into the fish rather than any nationalist sentiment. "God

save the Queen" is a four-syllable pause, and day5's suggestions all are longer!

Bill

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.