Fly Tying
sniksoh

classic streamers for largemouth?

i posted this in the classic streamer section of the forum and didnt get much response so ill try it here,

i have been tying alot of flies for bass and i love the way classic sreamers (like the black ghost and the light spruce) look and i was wondering if they would work for largemouth. this is mainly the only fish i target and i really want to tie some classic streamers.

so my question is, will classic streamers work for largemouth bass?

and if so will you guys post pics of some classic streamers or a link to some that will work good for largemouths? i dont have any of those fancy feathers so just some normal classic streamers.

if you guys could help me it would be great.

thanks,

sniksoh

I don't have any experience with the classic streamers, but I imagine they would work. Streamers are meant to represent baitfish and largemouth definatly eat those.

Ive used a black ghost for smallies. Also I found that a kingfisher blue works well also. I'm sure they would work, but there are probably other patterns that would be more successful.

Try em out let us know!

Tie 'em and try 'em if it pleases you. You could become a link between warmwater fish and the classics.

For me, it begs the question about how classic flies evolved — why do they look like they do? Many seem to suggest half (the top half) to 2/3 of a baitfish (as opposed to say, EP style flies that include a full fish profile); the classics tend to be highly impressionistic or attractor patterns, don't they?

Not to hijack, but I'd like to know when a fly works — when it garners strikes from fish — why did it work? Which elements make it effective? Knowing that can guide us when we're improvising on a pattern or innovating relatively new ones.

See the spring issue of fly tyer for four classics that will work for sure. I love the Mickey Finn. The smallies love it up in the Northeast and in Texas the large mouth tear em up.

T

Ciao,

I wouldn't call it a classic fly, My go to fly for Large Mouths is a MIZZOLIAN (MISSOULIAN) SPOOK!!!

You can find it and many other good patterns in "Flies for Bass & Panfish " by D.Stewart & F.Allen (pg. 44)

post-14279-1205709641_thumb.jpg

I have to second the suggestion of the Mickey Finn. When I lived inland (and had access to freshwater), I had some great times in the spring in small bass ponds with a Mickey Finn. They also work great for crappie and bluegill during the spawn. For still water fish, it helps if you add a few wraps of lead wire (if that's not too modern :D ) Another more modern suggestion (although a saltwater classic) would be Lefty Kreh's Deceiver. Just a thought.

Of course they'll work! Tie whatever patterns you like, and fish them well, and they will work. When largemouths are in the mood to eat, they will eat anything they can catch, including classic streamers. Don't get caught up in the alleged difficulty, mystique, or intricacy of fishing for largemouths.... There are times when they just are not interested in eating or chasing anything. Then there are times when they are willing to grab ANYTHING... just take a look in a Bass Pro Shops catalog at all the fifteen billion different lure types made for them.

Yes, they will hit "classic" streamers.

Not only will they work, they'll work well. Tie them in colors to match the prey fish the bass are feeding on. I tie a streamer with tinsel body, peacock sword tail, orange grizzley wing, peacock overwing, peacock sword or iridescent peacock throat, and teal hackle that has proven to be effective for bass. I learned the fly (in slightly different colors) from Marc Pinsel. So tie away on those 8X and 10X hooks!

TxEngr