Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishigan

Renzetti vise ?

Looking at a couple of vises. The NEW for '08 Renzetti Traveler and the newer model Renzetti Presentation P2004. Any one have any hands on experience with the two vises? There is a $100 difference in price and the Pres holds one hook size bigger, a 4/0 while the Trav goes to a 3/0. I won't be doing any deer hair spinning but will be doing some bigger flies for pike this year. I am leaning towards the Traveler and I know a bunch of guys have the older models. But how about the new?

Fred

I've got an old Traveler and a new Presentation 2000 (Christmas gift). I much prefer the new Presentation to the old Traveler. My old traveler uses a screw for tightening the jaws while the Presentation has a cam-lever. Most of the new Travelers have the cam jaws, so this difference is not significant. The new Travelers look pretty nice. The traveler has a lightweight curved arm that the jaws mount to, while the presentation has a heavier arm with a hex-bolt joint so that you can adjust the angle if desired - and it is significantly heavier overall. I heard a few odd stories about jaw tempering issues about a year ago, but I have not experienced any problems with my Renzettis.

I've got an old Traveler and a new Presentation 2000 (Christmas gift). I much prefer the new Presentation to the old Traveler. My old traveler uses a screw for tightening the jaws while the Presentation has a cam-lever. Most of the new Travelers have the cam jaws, so this difference is not significant. The new Travelers look pretty nice. The traveler has a lightweight curved arm that the jaws mount to, while the presentation has a heavier arm with a hex-bolt joint so that you can adjust the angle if desired - and it is significantly heavier overall. I heard a few odd stories about jaw tempering issues about a year ago, but I have not experienced any problems with my Renzettis.

Thanks for that input. I tied on Steves traveler once and like it. He had the cam jaws and its an older style. I have a Peak now and I like it alot but only went with it because of the price. I had a Danvise but it had to many mechanical and quality issues, I then got a great deal on an HMH Spartan. I liked the vise until I had to mount a hook. I don't think any vise should require that much force to hold a hook properly. There are a couple of things about the Peak I am not satisfied with so I am looking at the Renzetti....again. I have 2 good reports on the 2000 Pres now and 1 on the new Trav. It looks like the both have the same stem length. Does your Pres have a 6" stem?

Come on Fred, it's time to grow up and buy a man's vise.

IPB Image

:hyst: :j_k:

It will be awhile before I am man enough for one of those. Sure is nice though.

My traveler holds a hook I made which would be about a 20/0 or so hook. I wouldn't think you would have trouble with any factory hook being too big for the jaws.

I then got a great deal on an HMH Spartan. I liked the vise until I had to mount a hook. I don't think any vise should require that much force to hold a hook properly.

Then I got a great deal on a hmh and fixed it ! works great now!!! :yahoo:

I have the Presentation 4000, it will hold a pretty large hook, but they say to not put anything over a 4/0 in there. In reality, I can get a 8/0 in the jaws, but I am guessing it would be very easy to break the jaws with that big of a hook in there. It likely puts too much stress on the thumbscrew for adjusting the jaws.

I have never had any problem with my vice, but I have never tied on the traveler. Still all personal preference. I have heard good things about the Dyna Kings too, although some folks seem to love the grooves in the jaw, and some folks seem to hate them.

Good luck,

Ryan

Hey just my 2 cents, had a thompson 360 slt for two years then got a masters that master vice is 12 years old an still as good as day one.i also had a renzetti that had that knob to tighten the jaws, worked ok but doesnt hold like the mastervice,i gave that vice to my friend to use since his kid moved away an took the traveler he was tying on,i have tied on the new traveler with the cam jaws and for the money i dont think you can get a better rotary vice,but alas in the tying club i started up with my buddy,i have tied on a griffin montana mongoose an thats a great vice as well dont know if it ties and holds the bigger hooks as welll as the renzetti,for a fixed position i got a HMH Spartan as a traveler backup,it reminds me of my thompson on steroids lol. i want to get one of them darn law vices but i havent a clue where to get or place an order here in the US, i tied with Oliver Edwards in 1997 at the Little Lehigh Creek and i was impressed with its overall function as well as its bells and whistles.

Tight Wraps

Rick Wallace

I have owned a peak for 2 years, decent vice. About a month ago I picked up the new Traveler, havent touched the Peak since. Hands down the Traveler blows it away.

I rushed out and bought the 2000 when it hit the market. I LOVE the thing, it is very likely the last vise I will ever buy.

the pivoting arm is sweet, if you actually tie with the rotary it let's you get the shank exactly in line,

Some of these guys are probably getting tired of me preaching about this thing, but it's AWESOME.

come on over and tie on it some time ;)

you'll be a beleiver

PAuly