Fly Tying
stonehaven

Pike tippet

I refuse to use a wire trace . Instead last year i opted for 6 inches of 30lb mono. So far no pike has yet chewed their way through but i havnt hooked into the monster im looking for yet . Maybes im pushing my luck ..Any thoughts?

I am far from an expert.....I spent a week in N. Mn last Summer fishing for them and used some Mason hard mono for a tippet (25#) and had no bite-offs on it.....I would check after every fish though and if there was any fraying, I changed it. I got that recommendation off someone on this site......

Mike

I would say you are definetly pushing your luck. You can get wire in colors that are less visible and sizes that are amazingly thin. If you are dead set on not using wire, I would use flurocarbon, no less than 60#. And even then I would check it every fish, mabye every so many casts, to make sure it's not fraying. I've thought about it, and I'd rather that monster fish not bite because of wire, than lose it to something else.

Yikes. Pike have a lot of teeth and abrasion resistence to little razors is a lot to ask of any monofilament. Now metal on the other hand......

Have you used toothy critter tippet?

CB

Thanks fellows, you just answered a question for me and I didn't even have to ask. I'm normally a trout guy, but I have been wanting to hook into a pike or musky for a while. I bought some of the toothy critter wire and didn't know if I goofed up or not, but now I don't think that I did.

Thanks, and Take Care

I'm another one who doesn't really like wire. My usual set up for pike and smallmouth on my Ontario trip is 6-8 feet of 20 lb fluorocarbon. This is the same set-up I would use for muskie/chain pickerel, and for salt water. It varies from year to year on how many bite-offs I have. I think it has to do with the length of the fly and the length of the hook. Two years ago I lost 3 or 4 flies to pike. These were 4 inch flies tied on a regular shanked hook. Last year, I used 6-7 inch flies tied on 2 XL hooks, and didn't have a bite-off. Didn't catch as many bass but the pike were fun.

I always have a some spools of 30-50 lb fluorocarbon, and if I start losing flies then I'll tie a bite tippet on or go up to higher test for the 6-8 feet of leader. I've got a couple spools of 5, 10 and 15 lb Spyder Wire but I haven't really needed it yet.

Thanks , ive some thinking to do here and some internet searching .I agree with Blueman89 i take days to get over losing a fish nevermind down to crappy tackle choices and basic errors. . My concern with wire is loss of movement ,I incoperate a heavy or bouyant head into my flies for extra movement and dont want that affected.

Tyger Wire is a lot limper and thinner than a heavy mono bite tippet, and allows the fly to swing much more naturally. I will also lie it with an apon loop knot, like a modified Rapala knot with only three turns.