Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
J.Z

dubbing brush craw

J.Z.

I rarely, if ever, comment or criticize someones fly design. I figure if you like it, great. Different strokes for different folks right?

With that being said I gotta say that while it's inventive and original, I think you may have designed the first topwater Crawfish Fly. Even with the dumbell eyes and assuming you wrapped the hook shank with wire I would say the best you can hope for is neutral bouyancy which kind of goes against the design of a Craw Fly.

I'd lose the foam carpace / tail and go with something a bit less "floaty".

Unless, of course, you've got a plan that I'm not hip to? :dunno:

Kudos for trying something new buddy..

Scotty. :D

it does work, sort of a strange fly. i use a sinking tip, and i went over the body with lead about 4 times, so, it is pretty heavy, and the fly sort of wiggles because of the foam.

J.Z.

I rarely, if ever, comment or criticize someones fly design. I figure if you like it, great. Different strokes for different folks right?

With that being said I gotta say that while it's inventive and original, I think you may have designed the first topwater Crawfish Fly. Even with the dumbell eyes and assuming you wrapped the hook shank with wire I would say the best you can hope for is neutral bouyancy which kind of goes against the design of a Craw Fly.

I'd lose the foam carpace / tail and go with something a bit less "floaty".

Unless, of course, you've got a plan that I'm not hip to? :dunno:

Kudos for trying something new buddy..

Scotty. :D

A buddy of mine tied a craw pattern out of deer hair that floated and it was very effective so I wouldn't worry about it being too floaty unless it just won't sink at all without help.

You know I like the Fly with the foam where it is it allows you to put it right on the bottom and you don't have to worry about a weed Gard!! nice! I know that a fly like this will work. I just haven't Sean that design.

I will have to give it a try.

tyrite (Glen Dayton)