Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

Orvis Rocky Mountain Series

Hello, I came across an Orvis Rocky Mountain Series 8'3" 7WT a while back. It still has its original sock and tube, and is in excellent condition. I can't find any information at all as to when it was made. I think that its only a few years old, but I am just guessing. Any information would sure be appreciated. I don't think I did bad for 50 bucks?

Thanks, and Take Care

didn't kno they had a rod but they also have a rocky mountain reel too. wonder if it matches the rod. I have it on my tfo. have you tried searching it on google or yahoo? if nothing comes up I am sure one of these guys would kno the answer.

Thanks for the input fellows. I thought that I made out like a bandit when he said 50 bucks, I don't think I have ever got my wallet out that quick. fishaholic, it seems like I have seen a reel listed somewhere, but no info on the rod. I guess that I'm a little on the dense side because I didn't even think about calling Orvis, but I plan to just to satisfy my couriousity.

Thank, and Take Care

The Rocky Mountian series was orvis' entry level of rods&reel back about 10 years or so ago. They stopped making the Rocky Mountian series I believe in 2004 or right about that time frame. When they were new the rods sold for around $180-$200 new from Orvis. You see them on ebay and other sites for sale every once in awhile normally selling for between $80-$100 for the rod. So at $50 you got a good deal on it no matter how you look at it.

The rods are pretty decent rods, probably one of the better "Value per dollar" rods Orvis ever sold in my opinion. The reels I never was impressed with the Rocky mountian reels myself. Theres much better reels for low cost on the market now a day.

So for $50 price you paid I'd be happy with that if I were you. Stick a reel on her and enjoy a good deal B)

Steve

Thanks steeldrifter, I don't like talking on phones much, so you saved me from having to make a call. I'm an underfunded fly-fisher, so all that I have on the rod now is a cheaper Pflueger reel, but it casts like a dream. I don't care that the reel weighs a few ounces more than an expensive one, I'm used to swinging a body hammer all day, so I don't even notice the weight. This site is my one-stop place for information :D

Thanks, and Take Care

Guest Dan
On 3/21/2008 at 2:13 PM, Steeldrifter said:

The Rocky Mountian series was orvis' entry level of rods&reel back about 10 years or so ago. They stopped making the Rocky Mountian series I believe in 2004 or right about that time frame. When they were new the rods sold for around $180-$200 new from Orvis. You see them on ebay and other sites for sale every once in awhile normally selling for between $80-$100 for the rod. So at $50 you got a good deal on it no matter how you look at it.

The rods are pretty decent rods, probably one of the better "Value per dollar" rods Orvis ever sold in my opinion. The reels I never was impressed with the Rocky mountian reels myself. Theres much better reels for low cost on the market now a day.

So for $50 price you paid I'd be happy with that if I were you. Stick a reel on her and enjoy a good deal B)

Steve

Steve,

Can you recommend a decent reel for a 7' 9'' (5 weight) Rocky Mountain rod? We have the rod but no reel. Beginner-Intermediate.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan take a look at these. They are an imported reel and sold by a number of various sellers on ebay as well as in smaller online shops. The price can't be beat, but they are actually a pretty decent little reel with a good drag for trout. I actually bought 3 of them about 2 yrs ago and have been happy with them. I wouldn't use them on my big rods for steelhead or large bass, but for trout up to about 5/6wt they work well and have a drag that will handle trout just fine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GB-ACL-Chrome-Fly-Reel-Size-5-6/324226849914?hash=item4b7d6d1c7a:g:a1wAAOSw8~ZfCoZ7

On 3/20/2008 at 9:10 PM, netabrookie said:

Thanks for the input fellows. I thought that I made out like a bandit when he said 50 bucks, I don't think I have ever got my wallet out that quick. fishaholic, it seems like I have seen a reel listed somewhere, but no info on the rod. I guess that I'm a little on the dense side because I didn't even think about calling Orvis, but I plan to just to satisfy my couriousity.

Thank, and Take Care

Been a long time since purchasing an Orvis All Rounder 8' #7 weight 4 piece graphite back in the 1980's as it also came in an All Rounder 2 piece 8'3" version. An Orvis Madison click & pawl fly reel with spare spool was paired to ir to fish for bass & sunnies; only the reel was magnesium so can't use in saltwater.

Sierra trading post is also a great place to buy reels and lines, I like nice things but I don't like paying for them so I shop there often.