Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fowlmood77

feather "treatment"

I just recieved some nice pheasant feathers from a friend. I ave heard that you can put them in the freezer for a week or two to kill the lil bugs that might do harm to them. Will this work, and is it the best way?

Wash them first and let them dry. Then put in a zip lock bag for a week. Take out for a week and put back in for a week. Do this three times. I have never had a bug problem doing this. Never open the bag.

I also cut a few inches off the end of the stem to make sure there is no flesh on it.

Crappie

Then put in a zip lock bag for a week. Take out for a week and put back in for a week. Do this three times.

If the first time you put them in the zip lock, you put a moth ball (paradichlorobenzene) in with them, you don't have to worry about the in-out-in-out-in-out-in routine. It will kill any bugs and their eggs. I've heard that freezing will kill bugs but not eggs. Don't know from first hand experience, as I always just use mothballs. Besides, I figure any conversation that begins with "Honey, why are these feathers in the freezer?" "They're there to kill the bugs." isn't going to end well.

"Honey, why are these feathers in the freezer?" "They're there to kill the bugs."

Been there, done that, lost the fight. <_<

Josh