Hex Bugger

Size 6 Salmon Hook

Grizzly marabou tail

Pheasant tail fibre back

Grizzly soft hackle wound foreword woolly bugger style

Olive UV ice dubbing body applied with a dubbing loop

Medium plastic eyes

8/0 White Uni Thread

I've had luck with swimming hex nymphs in the past so I've tied these specifically for swinging. Could possibly imitate a bait fish too.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Very nice, Chris. I tie something similar called a Grizzly Hex. I get a lot of swing hits on this fly when the salmon fry are hatching.

IPB Image

Very nice, Chris. I tie something similar called a Grizzly Hex. I get a lot of swing hits on this fly when the salmon fry are hatching.

IPB Image

Nice tie man! I definitely will be focussing on streamers based on nymphs this year. Very versatile.

CB

Guys,

Those are both awesome patterns!! I'll be trying to replicate them very shortly. The hex hatch starts about mid June here and I've been searching for some hex nymph patterns to try! Thank you!

Any favorite hex drys? I've been using a Wulff style but wonder what else is out there.

Thanks,

Don

Guys,

Those are both awesome patterns!! I'll be trying to replicate them very shortly. The hex hatch starts about mid June here and I've been searching for some hex nymph patterns to try! Thank you!

Any favorite hex drys? I've been using a Wulff style but wonder what else is out there.

Thanks,

Don

When the fish fly hatch is on in Lake St Clair I'll definitely will be working on my hex dry. I've found that the large dries used, or more specifically, the large hooks used for them are heavy and keeping them up is a pain. Not sure how it will look yet but I'm pretty sure it'll have foam in it.

CB

Great flies guys. They look a bit like a Denny Rickards Stillwater Nymph pattern.

Don, I like to use a Quigley Cripple Hex pattern. Not really a dry but fished as such. Easy to tie. As cbinwindsor said it's tough to get a good looking dry on the water in those sizes. The materials you have to put on them to get them to float ends up taking away some of the better matching properties IMO.

post-13329-1206023165_thumb.jpg

Not sure how it will look yet but I'm pretty sure it'll have foam in it.

CB

A yellow or tan foam body (instead of dubbing or deer hair) works well. Deer hair isn't bad either though. Let us know what you come up with.

Is the dubbing loop method a personal technique or does it have any significant improvements over other dubbing styles out there? :dunno:

Mike

Is the dubbing loop method a personal technique or does it have any significant improvements over other dubbing styles out there? :dunno:

Mike

IN this particular case it produces a spikier body and secures the Ice dub much better than spinning it on. It seems to produce a more consistent body too.

CB

I figured that was what it was but thought I'd ask anyway. I need practice with dubbing loops so this pattern looks like a good reason to do them. As far as dries .. has anyone tried the anti-hex? It's a pattern in Farrow Allen's and Dick Stewart's Flies For Trout. It's tied on a long shank hook with the deer hair tail extending over the hook eye. I guess the thought behind this is most spinners float down stream head first and get taken by the trout head first. The head of the fly is tied over the barb and fished down stream. I googled the pattern and didn't find it but I'll try to tie one and post it here. Key words are .. try to. My photography sucks about as bad as my fly tying. :hyst:

Mike