Fly Tying
woz

Up on business from Georgia

I'm a member of the North Georgia Trout Organization (NGTO) and am up on business for a while.

Looking for fly fishing spots not too far from Vernon Hills (Hotel location).

Don't know the area but looking for a hot spot to catch and release.

Woz,

There are a lot of memebers from all over the county and some out side the US.

What state and city are you coming to?

I'm sure someone could help out.

Hey Woz,

I did my residency in Chicago, so I can help a bit, but that was before I fly fished. Maybe some other guys can pitch in. You are close to the Wisconsin border, so if you drive 2+ hours or so, you could get into the Coulee Region of Wisconsin, I think, which has a number of nice rivers I am not familar with, but here is a link to some info:

Coulee Info

guideinfo

I may be off on how far it is to drive, but if you have a day off, it sounds like it is worth the trip... I spent many years in Madison, WI and people always talked about it (I was not a trout fisherman then baby.gif ) Anyway, good luck!

Brian

Woz, another option is a couple hour drive across Northern Indiana into Michigan. Many opportunities in the Southwest corner of the state. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can put you on some trout-producing water.

Marc

Yeah, good idea, Kingfisher... but Warning the TRAFFIC suxors on that drive from north of Chicago... you hit traffic going into the city and the bottleneck on 90/94 going out... I used to have a once a week clinic in Merryville, IN and I HATED the drive... 3 hours just to go like 40 miles. mad.gif UGH!

use the skyway toll.... still not good with traffic, but better than other options. (yeah, i learned a bit having a gf in the north shore 'burbs of chicago).

steve

Hahhah goodpoint, Msuiceman... I was a poor resident so I took the cheap route usually...

'Nix

First, they are doing road construction (imagine that in Chicago wink.gif ) in NE Indiana. Yes, you can take the Skyway to avoid I80/I94, but there are a lot of other folks trying that right now as well. Check one of the Chicago Traffic web sites before deciding for a trip around the bottom of the big lake.

I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. As a matter of fact, my house is on the street that marks the dividing line between North and South addresses in suburban Chicago. I am 26 miles STRAIGHT west of the loop. Having said that, I know the western burbs and DuPage county much better than Lake county up to the north.

You mentioned that you are looking for fly fishing in particular. You might try to get out to the western side of Lake county and visit the Fox River. It is near flood stage right now with all the rain we have had. They have had even more in Southern Wisc. which of course flows down to fill our portion of the river. The Smallmouth are just comming off the spawn right now. I fish the Fox further south, between Geneva and Aurora mostly.

It ain't called Lake county for nothing. There is also lots of fishing choices in the Fox Chain of Lakes as well. Every other town out on that side of the county has its very own lake. The chain is NW from Vernon Hills. Use IL Rt 83 North to get you close. There is a Bass Pro Shops store up in the Gurnee Mills Outlet mall. It is a bit further north from where you are or will be, right up I-94. I'm sure they can offer some other suggestions as well.

My buddy and I caught three Muskie up on the Chain on June 19th 2001 (I'll never forget that date). The largest was 45". All were tagged and released. There is a picture of the big one on my web site. No, we were not using fly rods on that outing.

If you have a bit of time and a car for some exploring, you might try the Kankakee River south of Chicago. You don't have to get into the construction traffic near Indiana to get there. The Kankakee is one of the very best Smallmouth fisheries you will find. Search out the web site for the Kankakee River State Park.

All my trout loving fly fishing friends can't say enough about the trout fishing in SW Wisc., the Coulee region in particular. I still have not tried this myself, but hope to before this summer is out.

I don't know if you are into Charter boat fishing. I hear the fishing on "the big lake" (Lake Michigan) is really good. No one has left me money that I could afford such an outing myself. Although I did recently learn that one of the charter boat captains is a member of a club I am in. I have a friend at church who takes two boatloads of his best clients out each year for Lake Trout.

If I can answer any other questions, post them here or drop me a PM. Check my web site for a bit more info on fishing in the western burbs. There is a great fly shop up on the North side of Chicago called Trout and Grouse. My local fly shop (Fly & Field) in Glen Ellyn is owned by the same folks that own Trout and Grouse.

More later,

Ken S.