Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hikefar82

Striper Flies ???????

duckydoty,

Thanks for the info on fly selection.

It's sad, I live less than a mile from that part of the river, I still have not fished it yet. I only have a 6 wt, I have been saving up for a heavy wt bass fishing rig. How outmatched would I be using my 6 wt. on that water. I guess the weight of the flies would be my biggest problem.

After being dry for a few weeks for repair to the dam, everything is back to normal. We didn't get near as much rain as you.

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

I throw a 10 wt. over there. A lot of guys throw 7 and 8 wt's. 150 grain sinking tips are thrown alot also and floating lines with 7 ft 5.6 inch per second sinking leaders. You might be able to handle it with a 6 wt. but if you get into a spoony you might be in real trouble.

duckydoty

Whoa!!! Whos that guy!?!??! Duckydoty?!!? wow! lol jk

I use a 20$ Mill Creek 8wt for all my striper fishing. Mill Creek is just Martin but they decided to use that name. I have a 7-8wt fly reel from bass pro with a Scientific Anglers 8wt type 3 15ft sink tip... Not a big expensive rig... It took me a while to collect it all but I got it done. :D

Mswaterfowler... That looks like a Wonderful Pattern! I am working on a pattern that is a mix between a Tarpon Bunny and a Double Bunny. Its in rainbow colors, I got a BIG crappie the other night on it, about 4lbs... She was a pig!

wooot!!!!!!! You got yourself a set of Striper Slayers there Jschmidt63!!!!!!

Would you mind telling me what hook you are using for those clousers and what the deveiver looking thing is?

wooot!!!!!!! You got yourself a set of Striper Slayers there Jschmidt63!!!!!!

Would you mind telling me what hook you are using for those clousers and what the deveiver looking thing is?

thanks Zach

the clousers I used EC 413 in 3/0 or EC 635 in 1/0 (these are tied on 1/0), the deciever looking thing (the one with saddle hackle that are long) is just that a monster deciever with extra long saddle hackle. I have caught some nice schoolies on it in the Chesapeake bay when they are chasin bunker.

everything that duckdoty said.

Had lots fun fishing there in Tulsa... just didn't catch much other than drum and the rare small bass. I did get a sore shoulder from throwing the big heavy stuff all day!