Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
snboggs

Making a dubbing loop

I've been tying for a couple years now and I've never used or learned how to use a dubbing loop. I'm not even sure the advantages of using one over regular dubbing. Can anyone post some pictures or links to help me learn how to dub using a dubbing loop and also give me some advantages/disadvantages/uses of a dubbing loop? Thanks!

snboggs

Leverlover,

I'm looking at the picture where you're dubbing the streamer hook. After you put the dubbing on the hook what do you do with that excess loop? Just cut it off?

Leverlover,

I'm looking at the picture where you're dubbing the streamer hook. After you put the dubbing on the hook what do you do with that excess loop? Just cut it off?

Yes. Just tie it off just as if it were floss, yarn or whatever.

All good advise. You can also use dubbing loops to make nice tight bodies also. Just wind that puppy a little tighter, but not to the breaking point.

I almost always use a dubbing loop for herl bodies;

just wind the hearl around one leg of the loop, then spin the loop like you would with dubbing. Makes a tight, neat, strong body.

I use a petijean(?) dubbing loop tool. Really good tool and easy to use.