Fly Tying
mswaterfowler

San Juan Worm Ball

Here's one called the "Gob O' Worms"

(I firmly believe everyone should fish as they please, as long as it's not illegal or unsportsmanlike (e.g. snagging), but I would not use one of these. Nothing wrong with it, but to me it isn't fly fishing.)

IPB Image

So would you fish a plain SJ worm?

A green vernille EZ inchworm?

What about sili-skin baitfish flies?

Clouser minnows?

Woolly Buggers?

Adamses?

Poly-wing tricos?

To answer, have never fished sj worm, vernille inchworm or sili skin--though I can imagine fishing the first two of those. Have, obviously, fished Clouser, bugger, adams and poly wing.

As I made clear, its not right or wrong, just a matter of personal taste. To me, the worm ball does not imitate anything (or involve tying craft--again, my personal taste)--its just a lure.

Just wondering where anglers "draw the line" and why.

Some are dry fly only, some don't use "non-fly" flies, like the SJ Worm. Kudos to those who stick to their guns, even at the cost of lower catch rates, especially when the fish are biting on something else they could easily tie or use.

For me very much a gut reaction. And one that can probably change over time--in both directions.

Also, since I like to fish my own flies as much as possible, it relates to the kinds of flies I like to tie (and I have reasonable skill at). Don't like spinning deer hair--as a result I don't fish many flies of that type (and the few muddlers I tie use wool heads instead).

i think its purely up to the individual as to how and what they use to fish and nobody should criticize their choices. as long as they are fishing legally, its really nobody elses business.

my opinion, yours will be different.

i think its purely up to the individual as to how and what they use to fish and nobody should criticize their choices. as long as they are fishing legally, its really nobody elses business.

We agree--as I hope my comments made clear.

I suppose there is a separate, philosophical question, about when, or if, additions to a fly mean it is no longer a fly: rattles, propellers etc. The broadest view would be anything you can cast with a fly rod is a fly.

(A friend of mine uses a fly rod with small plastic trout worms on a hook. Nothing wrong with it, but I suspect most fly anglers wouldn't consider it fly fishing--and he probably doesn't either.)

Same as above. But I know there have been times where I've stuck with a lure or fly when my buddy is whacking them on something else. Is it a matter of pride? Heck I dunno, maybe too much reliance on "confidence baits" but I think there's this stigma that comes with fly fishing too about looking down the nose at spin/baitcaster fishing. I know I do it with the "hook and bobber crowd" more so for their catch-n-kill mentality, as opposed to their gear, and even then, I probably shouldn't.

Because, the base of it is, we're all anglers. And agreed, hopefully doing it legally.

Just wondering where anglers "draw the line" and why.

Some are dry fly only, some don't use "non-fly" flies, like the SJ Worm. Kudos to those who stick to their guns, even at the cost of lower catch rates, especially when the fish are biting on something else they could easily tie or use.

My position, which has shifted over the years I must admit, is that if it is within the rules then have at it,

otherwise you're left with the question 'Who sets the unwritten rule as to whether a fly is acceptable or not'.

Best way to justify using what may be classed as a 'marginal' pattern is to tamp down the barb,

handle the fish properly (or not at all) while releasing it - no harm done.

Let's face it - leisure time can be short - wouldn't you rather be catching fish ?

Granted, if it get's 'too easy' which I doubt, then there is no sport & therefore no fly fishing.

Then again, if you want to adhere to the English Chalkstream rules of upstream casts to rising fish only,

then go for it !

P.S. This 'San Juan Worm Ball' does look pretty 'obscene', but if it were the last fly I though would

have a chance to work, then I might just be tempted to try it .....

I have fished the San Juan worm countless times and they can make the difference between catching and not catching.A couple of times older fishermen have said to me that they should not be called flies.To each his own.I fished a stream in PA and this older guy said to me that they don't work,i invited him to try mine and he caught 3 trout within 10 minutes of each other.I think i convinced him that they have their place in fly fishing.