Fly Tying

tying scuds

I didn't realize you could go as big as 12 with a scud! I thought they were just wee things.

I guess the are pretty small, but to a fish, a size 12 going past you must just look like Xmas come early and they snaffle it.

In the winter here I fish shrimp patterns up to a size 10 and its amazing how confidently they'll take it.

Here in Wisconsin I've seen etymology displays at TU functions and the scuds are fairly large. Size 12 is pushing it, but not by much!

I've seen some on the Little Red that were probably a size 10 or 12. I have a buddy that ties what he calls a trash bug. Sow bug dubbing from Wapsi and the charcoal colored trash bag from Wal-Mart for a shell back. He always catches a bunch of fish anyway but the trash bug seemed to help some. To me .. it's all confidence. I like a simple bead and a dubbing ball or even a bead and grey ostrich works for me. Mohair yarn works, too. If you have confidence in the fly you'll catch fish with it. It has come to the point where commercial patterns are tied to catch more fishermen than fish IMHO. The .. you have to have 2 tails and 6 legs mentality is a bit out there for me. I'm pretty sure fish can't count. :huh:

Mike