Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sherrib

First dear haired bug..

Hi sherrib!! Nice bug indeed!! It will certainly catch fish. I can tell you,MY first spun hair bug looked nothing like that...or,for that matter like anything that occurs in nature!! I mentioned the other day,that I considered spinning and trimming deer hair one of the more challenging skills in the fly tying game. Stay at it

Sulfernut

You must have hit that poor guy up pretty hard with the scissors - he looks SCARED !! :hyst:

I agree with sulfernut - it's a fish catcher. Great first try.

My first deer hair fly looked like a hook that was dipped in glue and rolled around in floor sweepings !

It met it's fate with the razor blade minutes later ....

sherrib....If you are serious about mastering this type of tying,go to this website:

http://www.chartingnature.com/

Look for a DVD called "Tying Bass Flies with Jimmy Nix".....Iknow,I know....Chris Helms is the undisputed guru of spun deer hair,but TRUST ME....Mr. Nix is a GREAT teacher,and in this DVD concentrates on flies for BASS!! I see you are from great bass country,and assume bass are what you are tying for...?? The website above is the only place I was able to find this title on DVD...If you prefer it on VHS,it is available in more places. Have fun....perhaps you and sniksoh will be moderators of the "warmwater division" of the forum one day!!!

Sulfernut

sherrib, thats a great first!!! I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but you are dealing with a very powerful substance. At first its a simple bass bug or something, then its a popper or two, and by then that powerful little patch of hair has its hooks in you. The ordinary deer hair is OK at first, then you start craving more..... dirrerent types of deer........ maybe some caribou...... maybe some mule deer........ maybe some antelope....... Just Kidding, keep up the good work, and have a shot at a spun mouse when you feel comfortable, they are cute, and it gives you something to laugh at when it comes out looking like something other than a mouse

Take Care,

Thanks all for the kind words. I fish here in Oklahoma for bass, bluegill, and trout. So my tying bench lately has had a little bit of everything on it. Right now I am working on some pencil poppers. I will have to try the hair packing tool. Thanks again, Sherri B

Don't quit your day job :hyst: :j_k: Nice job on your first. If your like most of us , you learn alot on it, and once you crank out a few it becomes alot easier, Nice job

Sherri....nice job for your first attempt....A few things that have'nt really been mentioned...or not touched on in detail....

First...packing the hair.....understand that deerhair is naturally bouyant because it is hollow.....so if you are tying a floating bug...you want the hair packed tightly or dense.... I have to respectfully disagree with the brassie hair packer...as you'll end up cutting your thread often.....here is the one I use....

IPB Image

it has four different sized holes...use the smallest hole that will fit over the hook eye....if you're "thrifty" ...you can use the end of an ole ball point pen with the ink tube and ball point removed.

If you're tying sinking flies...the hair should not be packed as tightly as you don't want it to float....just pack it by hand...enough to form a nice looking head..

while on the subject....if your dealing with a floating fly such as a popper or slider/diver....you will want to seal the body with head cement....this can be done with a bodkin...or better yet a disposable brush....you want to seal the ends of the trimmed hair so they don't become water logged as fast....and it will make the fly a bit more durable...

I leave my "wet" flies untreated....so that as i fish them...they will absorb some water and sink better.

as far as trimming the hair....someone mentioned a one sided razor? the best thing is the old disposable blades....you can use a pair of side cutters to cut them in half.....as seen below....

IPB Image

use them flat for trimming the bottom or bend them between your fingers for trimming the body.....when using a razor do not saw or slide the razor back and forth while trimming....just make nice gentle sweeps with the razor and let it do the work.....using fresh sharp blades will produce better results

IPB Image

you can also pick up a handy little gadget made by Stonefly that holds the blade in a curved position...so that you hopefully do not lose a finger in the trimming process.....

IPB Image

here is an example of a fly with the hair packed fairly tight....and sealed with head cement

IPB Image

IPB Image

and one not as tight....hand packed.....and untreated so it will sink....(it also has weight in the body behind the deer hair)

IPB Image

forming a collar behind the head will cause the fly to push more water....or make more of a disturbance.....and the bass love that!! Good luck Sherri !

P.S. Jimmy Nix as mentioned has good intructions....but Chris Helm is the man!

Thank you for the info. I trimmed mine with my scissors. I will buy the razor blades. Where are some good places to buy the hair stacker? Sherri B

Grate Job on your first spin fly :D the Hear packer is A great Idea I have the Griffin 5 hole Hair Packer and it is all right. But I like the Terra Dubbing loop Spin & Hair Packer Tool.

With one of thees you can Get a nicely packed Hair. and that is easier to Trim with a razor blade.

:headbang: