Fly Tying
snboggs

Materials on Ebay

I searched for pheasant tails being sold on ebay and found auctions for up to 50 feathers for around 8 dollars. The seller claims these are high quality feathers that were harvested in SD and cleaned using borax. Are auctions like these too good to be true or should I consider buying? Thanks!

snboggs

Depends entirely on the reliability of the seller. First check his feedback profile. This will give you a summary of customer satisfaction and point up specific problems. You may even be lucky and find comments from someone who has bought the same item. Second, ask the buyer specific questions about the item of interest. And check his return policy. In general, a first purchase is something of a gamble. If you are dissatisfied, try to get your money back. And don't deal with that dealer again. Personally, I have had pretty good luck with buying hooks, feathers and skins on eBay. And every time I have been unhappy about what I received the seller either replaced the item or returned my money. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. The auction i was looking at was for 50 tail feathers. :bugeyes: But, since I've never tied with the material before, I decided to pick up just pair at the fly shop to experiment with. Don't think I need 50 at the moment. :D

For those of us who live (or in my case now, lived) in pheasant country, feathers are as easy to get as going out after work during the season and shooting a roodie or two. I have years of material stockpiled. LOL. But it isn't that expensive, in my experiences, to get a tail clump for tying.

PM me next fall, I can get you a good group of pheasant feathers to tie with: churchwindows and greentrims from the back and rump for softhackles and streamers too!

njsimonson,

Any chance I could persuade you to send me a tail since you've got so much stockpiled? :lol: If not, I'll definately try to remeber to PM you this fall.

snboggs -

I can get you one at the end of April. I recently moved from Valley City, ND to Eveleth, MN, and my stockpile is in my old room at my folks' place. I will be returning the last weekend of the month for smallie fishing, I will grab you a clump of tail feathers then, and see if I can scrounge up some rump patches too (iffy). PM me your mailer, and I'll get them out to you!

I have bought from ebay and have been very happy. Just check the seller profile as you would with any item from Ebay. If a pile of 50 of something is to big for you just get a group of fellow tyers and have a materials swap.

I also hit up the local taxidemist, they usually have feathers that fall out out various pelts. They are a good source for hair since they trim excess hides from mounts. I have found that a couple of flies or a case of their favorite beverage will keep me in all the natural hair I need.

I use a ton of pheasant feathers. I think that as long as they have been preserved correctly and aren't buggy they should be ok. I have bought off ebay before and they have been fine. I don't really buy tail feathers from fly shops or internet shops because they are expensive compared to getting them from guys here, a taxidermists or ebay. IMHO

I buy a heap of tying gear from eBay. the prices, including post, are much cheaper than the prices here in Australia & I have found the seller in the USA to be very reliable and obliging.

You blokes have so much available that we don't see here & if it is available here it can cost an arm & a leg.

A good Whitings cape can cost up to A$180 here & the same quality can be got from eBay for around US$30.

I buy 10 or 15 capes & saddles & it only costs A$60 to have them (the lot) Gamma irradiated here by Quarantine. It is a huge saving.

Hooks & thread are a fraction of the Australian shop price

I've never had any problems with the USA (& Canadian) sellers.

I purchased 3 nice whole pheasant skins on Ebay. I put them in a sparate bag with moth crystals and kept them away from my other materials for a few weeks. The skins are beautiful. As was mentioned, check-out the seller. There's always a chance things won't work-out.

Mark

Pheasant is very good from some folks on ebay, try auction Item number: 310039849129

these are NO1 South Dakota PHEASANT tail clumps they have all the feathers , the 2 long feathers will run 17" to 22" . these are dried and cured with borox work great for crafts , fly tying, training dogs, jewery or wreaths . they have lots of uses . THESE TAILS ARE FANCY tails will run from17 "to 22". we have several hundred .buy and stock up know . $2.00 buys one tail clump picture shows more then one for a display . shipping will be $2.00 on the first tail clump, $1.00 a tail clump after that . on large amounts please ask for shipping price. shipping price per tail will be alot less on volume . i dont need to make money on shipping . HAVE A GREAT DAY.

I have purchased from him before when I can't get free ones.

Fatman