Fly Tying

I have a full Pheasant skin and I have been trying to find ways to use some of the feathers other than a PT Nymph. Does anyone have any sugestions. Also does anyone have a hen skin they would like to sell. PM me with info if you do.

Thata a good looking fly I would like to get a better look at that. I am looking for ways to use my pheasant skin.

Thanks Eastern. Maybe Al Beatty could chime in on tying the WW. He can describe the winging technique much better than I. Besides, I learned it from him on FOAL. :P

IPB Image

If you are looking for pheasant skins, see if you can find a game farm out your way. I see the two of you looking for hen skins are from the 'far East', so I'm not sure what you might have out there. I know that on the farms around here, if they are pen raising birds, it is legal to take hens on the game farm (not legal for wild birds on other land). Most hunters take the meat (if that) and leave the skins in a pile. Contact a farm and they could probably get you all the skins you want. I know on one farm that I visited, they also crossbreed their pheasants to get a wide variety of colors. One pheasant I got that day had the standard brown tail, but rather than the black bars, they were a nice golden color. But they would put out pheasants that were anywhere from white to almost black.

Deeky

Here in West Virginia we do hunt them but they are mostly in the southern part of the state. I am in the eastern panhandle. If their is another Mountaneer out their that could get me one you would be compensated for it.

Jeff Guerin is a long time friend, who guides on the Little Missouri River in southwestern Arkansas. Jeff ties a really neat little crawfish pattern that he calls "Jeff's Mudbug", http://www.littlemissouriflyfishing.com/ou...tamtnflies.html

It is worth your trouble to order several of these Mudbugs from Jeff for patterns... a cool little pattern!

Typically, Jeff ties the very best of these from the skins of wild (i.e. not pen-raised birds) pheasant skins with an overall "rusty" coloration.

Those "rusty" hued skins are really special and when ya' come across one of those skins, it is always worth saving.

Bowfin47