Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wildland01

Lead Wire Alternative

What material is the non-lead/lead alternative wire made of? I have noticed many different "craft" wires in the stores and wondered if these could be used, any thoughts on that? I would think they could work, as long as the material was malleable enough to form around the hook and dense enough to add adequate weight...?

Also, I am fairly new to tying and was wondering if there was a formula/rule of thumb for choosing the wire size. Thanks!

What material is the non-lead/lead alternative wire made of? I have noticed many different "craft" wires in the stores and wondered if these could be used, any thoughts on that? I would think they could work, as long as the material was malleable enough to form around the hook and dense enough to add adequate weight...?

Also, I am fairly new to tying and was wondering if there was a formula/rule of thumb for choosing the wire size. Thanks!

I think it depends on the fly. Copper should work on many patterns. It's more expensive than lead, but in the quantities we use I doubt cost would be a huge factor. Just use fine stuff if it needs to be more flexible and add more wraps. It's pretty hard to beat lead for density. Most of us don't have access to spent nuclear material.

Welcome to the forum wildland01. My suggestion would be to stick to lead for underbodies. If you need more weight for very deep runs then look to tungsten beads - more pricey though.

Lead is ideal, being very dense; but also it can be manipulated easily to change the profile of the fly - hump backs on scids and shrimp or flat for stoneflies etc.

Lead wire is good. I like the flat, adhesive-backed sheets too - cut to any width and easy to apply.

Guys I think he is asking what lead free wire is made of. I think it made or tin. Unless tin has lead in it.

if it's made like lead-free jig heads, the majority are made of tin and bismuth.

Mike

'Lead-free' is usually made of tin alloyed with antimony and/or copper as far as I know.

I guess there are other combinations - but that's what they use for Pb free solder. As copper now increasing in expense, I expect there will be shifts in what they use.

None of these are as dense as lead mind you. Bring out the gold and platinum then...

Dave ,

That would take the humble "goldhead" to a new level. There would be an increase in fly box thefts and fly-fishers getting hijacked for their patches

KP

Your right KP... and in addition to cost of buying them would be the scuba kit and harnesses to retrieve those lost on the river bed and in the trees... ;)

Might stick with the lead afterall.