Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

Hook question

I was at a fly tying show this weekend and saw the neatest fly.It was a woven catopla worm tied on a #6 salmon fly hook,Where can you buy these ?

Can you be more specific about the hook. Do you mean a black finished salmon hook or a hook for tying a salmon fly?

If you mean a salmon hook, then anywhere you can buy tying materials you can buy salmon hooks. Mustad or any major hook maker will be adequate.

If you mean a hook for tying a salmon fly, pattern then we need to know what sort of hook you are after.

RW

Royal Wuff, The tyer probably told me the style , but I was like a kid in a candy store and my mind was already filling with the next question I would ask.But I not looking for the exact hook ,thou it would be nice.What I like about the hook is that it was black ,turn up eye and very stylish looking. This fly if I can do one will proably never hit the water its just to pretty to lose.

I use mustad salmon hooks to fish, but to my eye they arent pretty enough. I like the look of the bartleet supreme or bartleet traditional made by partridge. I use these to fish also, but they are a nice shape to frame.

Others use a curved shank salmon hook made by daiichi they look nice also.

One hook that I want to try and am looking into picking some up, is the Alec Jackson spey hooks, they look hot and I hear fish decent also.

Look for those. That would be a start. But salmon hooks are much more expensive then trout hooks. Also the black finish is called "japaned"

let us know how you end up,

Phil

Fred,

It was most likely a demonstration of Michael Verduin's Catalpa Worm that he tied on a size 8 Partridge CS10/2 Bartleet Supreme Salmon hook. A beautiful fly that you almost hate to fish, but effective for bream.

TxEngr

Fred and everyone,

Here is a picture of the exact fly Fred is referring to (he wasn't the only one at the Acadiana Fly Rodders Conclave last Saturday). It is a very good catalpa worm of Mike Verduin's pattern tied by Richard Blair.

IPB Image

Richard is scheduled to tie all Saturday May 17th at the Gulf Coast Expo in Lake Charles (and I know you'll be there Fred, since we get to sleep in our own beds for this event!!). I'd bet he'd tie one for you if you e-mailed him in advance and asked. I should be able to get his e-mail address from Bill Heugel.

By the way, did you get a chance to watch Richard's wife work with deer hair? I learned a ton of neat tricks from her.

Mark Delaney

Dang, i was wondering what the fly looked like and if anyone was gonna post a pic. Cool fly.....thankx Mark. See ya in Lake Charles. We are REALLY lookin' forward to the show. I got every single tyin' shift. Two more shows before yours though.....Idaho and Oaklahoma. :D mark..... B) p.s. you outta try and come up and do the Oaklahoma show one year........your not so far away. It's a real nice group of folks there. And they take ya fishin' too. :yahoo: