Fly Tying
snboggs

Favorite Material

Everyone should fish as he/she chooses (as long as it's legal), but in my opinion, lures tied with mister twister tails and/or spinner blades don't qualify as flies. (This is also the opinion of most state conservation departments--these wouldn't be legal in any "fly-only" waters I'm familiar with.)

Flashabou, marabou and spinner blades!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Everyone should fish as he/she chooses (as long as it's legal), but in my opinion, lures tied with mister twister tails and/or spinner blades don't qualify as flies. (This is also the opinion of most state conservation departments--these wouldn't be legal in any "fly-only" waters I'm familiar with.)

Well then I guess I'm lucky that there's not much "fly only" muskie water out there! These aren't trout flies man. They're for pike and muskie, but I get that alot from people who look down on me because I'm not a refined trout fisherman fishing with a 32 Adams.

And I'm terribly sorry they don't qualify as flies to you, and apparently the "fly only" waters you're familiar with aren't in my states of residence because here in WA a "fly" is defined as-

"A lure in which thread, feathers, hackle or yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or bead eyes may be used."

And in AK-

"Artificial fly means a fly which is constructed by common methods known as fly tying, including a dry fly, wet fly, and nymph, which is free of bait as defined below. Materials and chemicals designed and produced primarily to cause flies to float or sink may be used on artificial flies."

So I guess I could fish "fly only" waters with them! Sweet! There's no scents used, no bait is attached, they cast on a fly line, in that according to IGFA-

"The major criterion in casting is that the weight of the line must carry the fly, rather than the fly carrying the line."

And no, I don't troll them.

So I guess I'm fly fishing!!

(And it's not a Mister Twister tail....it's a scentless grub for halibut fishing. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a scentless grub tail?)

Hey flyline64, clear your inbox, or enable PM's. I'm trying to plead my humble case with you in a message, but it says your inbox is full.

My favorite tying material is Liquid Lace . Followed by dubbing,feathers,fur,and scud back materials. hooks don't count cause you've got to have those. Besides, I believe that's in another thread.

Kodiak Salmon:

A couple of points

First, you seem to have missed that I said you, and everyone else, should fish as you please.

It's not looking down on you, or anyone else, to say that, in my opinion, those aren't flies. I would guess most people on this board don't consider them flies either.

As for state regs, here is Pennsylvania:

Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited.

The spinner blades aren't wound "on or about the hook." The tail is probably debatable--but not in Missouri, where "fly" specifically excludes any lure with a soft plastic bait (scentless or not).

You define a fly differently than I do, and I think differently than most anglers. To each his own.

First, you seem to have missed that I said you.....

Nope. Didn't miss a thing. Like your implying that my flies are illegal-

And I see where you edited your original post where you said that most here would agree that my flies aren't flies.

And this is apple to oranges. There's no "fly-only" water when it comes to pike and muskie. I'm fishing for muskie and pike with these flies; not trout or Atlantic salmon. FFS, I only swing single hook flies for wild steelhead on a spey rod! I've never used an indicator in my life, and I don't even own a conventional rod! I'm a flyfisherman, and for you to imply otherwise....well....

Have you cleared your PM box? I want to PM you. Not to spread hate and discontent, but maybe to enlighten you that I'm not the fishing heathen you think I am.

Honestly, I'm not mad. I want to give you my side, so as you don't think I'm a fly poacher, raping the water of pike and muskie.

Jeff

I would have to say that kodiaks are flies. here in montana, if you tie it in a vice and toss it with a fly rod, it is fly fishing :). Even my good buddy syl nemes, softhackle extrordinare has used spinner flies in the past, flies with spinners on them were very popular in the 40's i beleive.

p.s.

I LOVE PUTTING ON RUBBER TAILS ON MY PIKE FLIES!!!! it is like the punched out foam boddies for a hopper fisher! it is a must on my favorite flies. i will have to try that one out :)

Flyline 64. I believe you are being a bit pedantic. Although I don't tie using Mr Twisters or similar I don't see any problem.

They are tied in a vise, thread, feathers etc. are used and they are cast with a fly rod.

If a tyer uses Mr. Twisters as an ingredient in his flies good luck to him. At the end of the day many of us are tying flies to catch fish and if they get fish the tyer has tied a a successful fly.

Flashabou, marabou and spinner blades!

Not necessary and a little judge mental! We as a fly fishing community need to be careful of the high and mighty judgemental attitude we have already been catorigized in to by the rest of the fishing world. To much of the fishing world we are fishing snobs. I do not like that stigma much. I think the musky flies are sweet!!! very inventive! I have had success with blades on steelhead flies but I get to much twist out of them.

Favorite material Im all fuzzy for bunny fur!

Kodiak:

As I've said in both posts, to each his own. I certainly don't consider you, or anyone else "a heathen" (to use your term), or in any way wrong, for fishing with those flies.

Nor did I suggest you were fishing illegally--I used the regulations definitions for flies as an example of accepted definitions of a fly. As you point out, the definition of fly varies from state to state. (We'd have to look at all 50, but I would guess either blades or tails are not flies in more than half the states.)

To anyone who thinks I'm being judgmental or high-minded, please read my posts again. The posts make clear this is my opinion about what is a fly, and that everyone should fish as he/she chooses as long as its legal.

Let's get back to the topic at hand guys. No need to go into a "what makes a fly" topic here. If anyone wants to discuss that topic then please start a new topic on that, thanks.

Steve

well, to try and get back on the topic :D I guess I like quill bodies or moose mane about the same. I like to play with various kinds of dubbing also, but I personally like the look of the fly body with a stripped quill or herl or light and dark moose mane. I use dubbing to taper my bodies sometimes, then go over the dubbing with the mane or quill. With the moose mane I am limited to size 14 or size 12 being the largest, because I can't find a "hippie" moose anywhere to offer me any longer mane. Then again, after thinking, there is also peccary......

Take Care,

p.s. I love to tie small dry flies, but I am sure that I will find another favorite as time passes