Fly Tying
Guest Big E

What a mess deer hair is

For those of us with big meat hooks, what type of packer tool do you recommend?

I tie the vast majority of my deer hair bugs for topwater bassing on the California Delta, so I tie them on size 2 - 3/0 hooks. I'm currently using a brassie to pack the hair and it seems to work just fine with these bigger hooks. (I believe Chris Helms uses things these as well.) Anyway, I'm not sure if it packs any tighter than just using my fingertips but I've found it definitely keeps my fingertips from getting sore after several bugs.

-- Mike

Brassie, or brassie style is by far the best. Correctly sized or home-made from a couple of feeler guage strips, it packs the thread wraps along the hook shank as well as the hair. I have used all types available over the years, and the brassie type is the only one I will bother with now. Attached is a pic of one I made from an old feeler guage, a machine screw, and a few nuts. Needed a round jeweler's file to put the grooves in the front for the hook shank. Works great.

Also, IMO, quarter-inch bunches of hair are TOO SMALL for all but the smallest flies, or detailed color touches when stacking hair. For spinning, you need significantly more than that. The best way to improve, is to just practice spinning, packing, and trimming deer hair on hooks. Don't worry about making complete flies until you are satisfied with what you can do. It will come fast, especially if you can get someone to show you, or watch a decent DVD, like one from Chris Helm.

Two things which make it much easier, again in my opinion, are good coarse long hair, and GSP thread.

post-10077-1208495097_thumb.jpg

Great thread! My best advice, added to what's already here, is to practice a lot. I don't spin deer hair bodies all that often, but find that it takes me some time to get back into the swing of it after not having done it for a few years.

Bill