Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishaholic69

steelhead on a red/white clouser pattern.

went with my cousin to the v and met flytyer56 there. he showed us some good tips and I learned alot. soon after I tied on a red/white clouser and I hooked up with a nice buck steelie that took me on some nice runs!! he had lots of nice pink color on him and I fought him a good 3-5 minutes or so and flytyer went to net him for me and he jumped out the net and did a 360 around his leg and broke my leader. still awesome tho and no hard feelings whatsoever! if it weren't for flytyers tips and suggestions I wouldn't of hooked into him in the 1st place! I will count him as a 90% catch. I felt the power! also caught this sucker fish on a brown stone. thought I had a snagged bottom until the snag starting moving past HBJ and I am like why is my snag moving? oh crap a fish! heres a pic of the sucker I caught..

post-12314-1208561175_thumb.jpg

heres what the fly looked like. I made these ones so its got beadchain eyes instead of the lead red eyes the one i bought had. but basically the same.

post-12314-1208573001_thumb.jpg

fishaholic69 - Nice fish. It seems a bit early for the suckers to be spawning, but I look forward to seeing them this time of year. Over the next month, we see the steelies falling back to the lake and the suckers, bass and gar pike moving up into the streams to spawn. I love the days when you can catch steelies, bass and suckers.

nice fish and if clousers aren't regularly in your steelhead box they sure should be.

Ray the sucker run is in full swing man, get your bhhe's and a 5 wt and go to any trib. i have landed some real slobs this week and so far have four different species. love the spring runs.

ya i lots of suckers and steel. whats the best colors of clousers to use for steel? also i have seen a guy catch 3 sucker sin 15 minutesusing a gold ribbed hen pattern

red/white didn't work today! went again today by myself. I had a blast! I caught a nice buck steelie on the lake erie shiner clouser (black/olive/white) I tied myself in the same exact spot as last time!! also caught a small mouth ina deep rocky hole and a carp 2 cast later. it wasn't a sucker fish this was a carp for sure. no pix of the small and carp cause they fell off when i lufted then out of the water but heres that huge steel I caught! I estimate him to be 22-24 inches by measuring the rod when i go home! took me around the corner had to cross the river and everything haha!.

post-12314-1208823850_thumb.jpg

post-12314-1208823860_thumb.jpg

post-12314-1208823871_thumb.jpg

caught anohter today! same place same spot! this time on the red/white clouser! caught a nice hen that was just like all women! feisty and complicated! bringing her in was easy but she didn't wanna take a pic but i got it. after she got all full of mud! I quickly took one pic then took her back to the water and cleaned her off asap as good as I could. she swam away as good as new! heres the uncooperative pic! she also dropped some eggs.. guess i got her a lil excited lol.

post-12314-1208905858_thumb.jpg

post-12314-1208905866_thumb.jpg

told kruggy1 from my great lakes fishing forum I was going to the v and was surprised when I got there to see him there. we headed out to a couple holes that I know about and hooked up with some steel! he caught 2 but hooked into 4 or 5 . he had another one on really good but I couldn't net him in time and he broke the leader sorry krugs..

I also caught a steel and a smallie. heres the pix we had a blast! one of kruggys steelies was 28 inches!!

post-12314-1209083003_thumb.jpg

post-12314-1209083015_thumb.jpg

post-12314-1209083024_thumb.jpg

caught anohter today! same place same spot! this time on the red/white clouser! caught a nice hen that was just like all women! feisty and complicated! bringing her in was easy but she didn't wanna take a pic but i got it. after she got all full of mud! I quickly took one pic then took her back to the water and cleaned her off asap as good as I could. she swam away as good as new! heres the uncooperative pic! she also dropped some eggs.. guess i got her a lil excited lol.

I know its hard when your by yourself to get pics, but try and handle them a bit more carefully, especially in the spawning season.

great fish none the less

she should of just set still. lol. jk. actually she would of got the mud treatment anyways cause I had\d to get the hook out and i had to bank her cause I can't for the life of me get these huge things in my little net by myself.

Thor white and Red Clouser Looks really good!! I have tied some of that clouser but I put a very little bit of Black Angle Hair in between the two colours!!!!!!!!

I Devenitluy will have to try that colour patter For steelhead :headbang: :yahoo:

tyrite

beautiful fish... I just love the look of steelheads! Hopefully this year I can hook into one

its alot if fun!!! they fight pretty good! ya just gotts let um run when they wanna then reel when they don't. never lost one yet but always had um in the lip with a clouser. the red/white seemed to work on sunny days and olive/white on cloudry? just from my experience and thats very little.