Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nineteen

A few questions

First, what are the characteristics of the different types of flies? And I don't mean how they're used in fishing, but how they are made and what they look like, or what they're made of. Also, where is the best place to buy materials for tying on the Internet? I really want to find a good site that is reliable and has a diverse selection of materials.

Nineteen, J. Stockard is an excellent place to start and its one of the sponsers of this forum

I'm checking that site out now, and I'm getting excited. Thanks for pointing me in its direction. You know, I never pay attention to the advertisements on sites, so I guess I miss a lot.

A good fly pattern database lists the patterns and their corresponding materials, one is available on this site if you know the names of the flies you're interested in tying. I would describe "characteristics" of flies as loosely tied to the materials used in their construction.

The materials dictate the style with which they're attached - and in turn dictate some of the features of the finished fly. An example might be the use of deer hair to substitute for a wing or tail material that floats poorly.

I think pictures speak more eloquently than I do - wander over to the fly pattern database and browse the many thousands of patterns listed - that should drive your materials list - and the ability to recognize some of the characteristics (common to many) you're looking for...

WOW, that's one heck of an opening question :bugeyes: There are hundreds if not thousands of books explaining "the characteristics of flies. You have top water flies (a boat load)which can be terrestrials, from hoppers to ants, even mice and snakes. Obviously top water flies float so you need to learn which materials are best . You have many different DRY flies which come in all sizes and colors. You have many species that are emerging from the bottom and are found in all sections of the water column(EMERGERS) You have all kinds of STREAMERS which imitate different types of minnows and smaller fish. There are NYMPHS , Swimmers Clingers and Crawlers. My advice to you is GET OUT NOW, This can be a never ending adventure , OR pull up a chair grab a coffe and a Danish aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand enjoy the ride. There are alot of great guys on this site and also many accomplished tyers that are willing to do what ever they can to assist and get you going. There a a handful af basic flies to start with.

Wooly Bugger, Pheasant Tail, Adams Google these and find the site that gives you the info you desire :dunno:

Nineteen - Here is a very basic sheet that I put together for a 4-H club that I lead. It's broad, a work in progress and definately not all encompassing but is a good place to start. I hope it helps.

Types_of_Flies.doc