Fly Tying
letumgo

Fishfinder (Jack Gartside pattern)

Thanks for posting Ray. Did you check out Jack's materials for sale. I laughed so hard I thought I would bust a seam.

Whatever works for you. I've never used the Virtual Classroom, but I'm sure I could figure it out. I've read about it. I don't have a microphone, does this matter except that I can't pose any questions? :dunno:

snboggs - Here are the step-by-step tying sequence for this fly. I used red thread on this fly in hopes that it will show up better in the photos. Hopefully this will make it clear how to tye the fly. Let me know if you still have questions. ;)

post-4573-1208910162_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910172_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910181_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910194_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910203_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910213_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910229_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910244_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910257_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910268_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1208910280_thumb.jpg

I think that'll work. Thanks! Now, if I only had some wood duck flanks... I suppose I could try it without...

Ray, when you tye the tip in.....if you'll place the plumb upside down with the stem out over the eye, then lash it with a couple lifts over the top with your left hand, while holding the feather with your right..........then tighten up with a few right handed wraps...........then pull the feather back over the top and relash it down.........you'll have a feather tyed in that cannot be pulled out. It'll be "LOCKED" in place. Then wrap. :D Much more durable that way. You can leave the little tip left over if there is any.......or cut it out.....makes no real difference.............specially in a fishin' fly...........trick is to double tye-in. Your first wrap overs should be bout in the center of the tip fibers, so that when you bring the feather back over.......you can double lash down that little loop that is formed.....thereby locking in the tip. mark..... B)

p.s. holly cow, i didn't even know there was a second page to this thread........... :hyst: just jumped in after goin' down the first page......... :D ...........anyway, since i still haven't even read the second page........just wanted to let you knowe that Jack is a friend and ya'll should subscribe to his monthly email newsletter....... definately worth your time........and get yourself at LEAST one pair of his hackle pliers as well.......they ARE THE BEST!!!!! The ONLY (cept for parachutes), kind i use and i must have 10 different types.

Fred............you outta take a class with Jack sometime.............it's a GAS!

Boggs...........just use Mallard if you don't have woody.......makes no diff.

Ray: Nice fly, and great step-by-step photos and instructions. A good photo sequence sometimes is just what a reader (me) needs to get intrigued by a pattern and tying it. After I get through the six dozen Clousers I've promised myself, I'll give the Fishfinder a shot.

Bill

Thanks for the tip Mark. I tyed up some more yesterday with your method and it worked great. Hopefully the finished flies will be more durable.

Bill - SIX DOZEN CLOUSERS?!? :bugeyes: Wow! Your going to do some serious fishing. :D

Bill - SIX DOZEN CLOUSERS?!? :bugeyes: Wow! Your going to do some serious fishing. :D

Ray: I give away more striper flies than I use, and I'm low on Clousers with the season about to start. Just got a tip on a hot shrimp imitation tied Clouser-style, so that has upped my production backlog!

Bill

I bet you could make a subtle but huge character change just by using different colors of dyed woodduck/mallard flank on the front of that. Need to get some more marabou and give that one a try. Was just at the store today, guess I'll have to go again. Shoot.

Deeky