Fly Tying
letumgo

Spectrum Leech

post-4573-1209769203_thumb.jpg post-4573-1209085921_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1209085937_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1209085953_thumb.jpg

Materials Used

Hook - DoIt Spinnerbait Hook (Model 455/Size 4)

Thread - UNI-Thread (Rusty Brown) Size 6/0

Rear Body - Burnt Orange Marabou

Flash - Bronze Flashabou (2 strands folded in half)

Middle Body - Moss Green Marabou

Flash - Bronze Flashabou (2 strands folded in half)

Front Body - Sculpin Olive Marabou

Dark body streaks - Peacock Herl

Head - Tying Thread or Bead Head for a diving/dipping version

EDIT - This fly has been very effective on both smallmouth bass and steelhead. I've been fishing the unweighted version on a floating line with a long florocarbon tippit. The fly settles slowly toward the bottom and the slightest movement of the line brings the marabou to life. I am able to fish very shallow water with this fly without any problems with snags.

post-4573-1211045765_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1211045777_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1211045795_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1211045810_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1211045827_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1211045839_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1211045855_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1211045868_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1211045883_thumb.jpg

I love the use of color! Nicely done agian Ray!

PS I got a drop back steelie on the a tube this week!!!

Cool Matt! Which version were you using, the one on the copper tube or the plastic tube? Did you like the look of the fly in the water? Did you take a picture of the fish?

PS - This was the kind of colors I was going for...

post-4573-1209088204_thumb.jpg

I have been using one similar for years. Jack Gartside turned me on to the BIG softhackles and the twisted Marabou with lots of flash.

Lynn Scott from B.S. Flies has a new pattern similar also but ties in clumps of Marabou on bottom, sides and top, but then adds the dubbing at the eye with Hackle, so kind of a Stimulator thing. B.S. new flies.

Experimenting, if you are using it for a baitfish imitation, a friend wrapped Chenille or dubbing on the middle of the hook to fatten the middle like a shiner.

I love the Black/Burnt Orange, Red/Black, Olive/Brown, Brown/Yellow and try Black and Purple or Red and Yellow.

I still put a collar of Guinea or Wood Duck, But I have tons of different colors in both. Deadly fly!

I Bet your creation will be the hit of the summer! :headbang:

Beautiful simplicity. Very attractive pattern Ray.

Curious about the hook choice and the reason?

Old Hat - I started using the "DoIt" spinnerbait hooks after seeing a post by another member "cornmuse" (Joe Cornwall) last summer. The hooks are inexpensive ($4.32/100 hooks) and are used for casting spinnerbaits and crappie jigs, but they also make great fly tying hooks. I love to use them for this type of fly and have started using them on some clouser minnow patterns as well. They are nice and sharp and the color of the hook can easily be changed with a sharpie marker. Your question made me think about coloring the hook red to add an extra bit of color to the fly, or black to make it disappear into the pattern.

If your interested in the hooks, you can buy them from Jann's Netcraft (Spinnerbait Hook Link).

Everybody LOVES Raymond........... :D damn, you've doen it again Ray. TOTALLY cool....... that frickin' fly is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY..........and you know me.........i'll use just bout ANY hook, depending on what i'm after. I have GOT to get some of these hooks. If for no other reason than to see how they take a Sharpie. You know if Bass Pro has 'em? I'll be over at the B.P. store in Branson, MO. tomorrow or the next day.

SUPER Cool tye...............btw, i just invited Joni (like Mitchell :D ) to tye with us at the CJ'08.........whataya think the chances are? :P

Well, keep 'em commin' Ray.......you continue to amaze. mark..... B)

Awesome tie. The colors & shape look like a plastic grub that just kills on my local streams...looks like I'll be tying some up!

I love those fluffy flies that have a ton of movement.

I haven't been to this forum for awhile so I would like to share some of the ones I use.

This first is out of BUNNY or Zonker. New colors by Hareline:

IPB Image

Here is my Gartside:

IPB Image

Here is my STINGER. I have threaded a scud hook on Fluoro through the Zonker Strips and secured it to a Streamer hook. Various colors on these also with BLACK/BURNT ORANGE being my favorite and BLACK/RED second.

IPB Image

But here is my TRUE articulated flies. First out of Deer hair the second out of Synthetics and Wool. The second hook attached with Steel leader material.

IPB Image

Nice set of flies, Joni. I think that red and black combination is especially nice.

I tested out the Spectum Leech this morning and was very impressed with how it looked in the water and how it fished. The first fish I caught on it hit the fly so hard it almost yanked my fly rod out of my hand. I'm NOT exagerating...the fish hammered the fly. :yahoo:

I think this fly is going to work nicely... :D

Leeches are one of my favorite live baits and this looks like a killer imitation! The evidence of course, was at the end of your line. :headbang: