Fly Tying
letumgo

Spectrum Leech

I make a similar fly from leftover marabou pieces. i have a baggie that I just stuff with cut butt ends, and feathers that aren't good enough for whatever I am tying. When I get a bunch, I slip them into a dubbing loop, like how Peter Frailey ties the front half of his conehead combo. I mix colors sometimes randomly, or on purpose. Wrap the marabou "chenille" up the shank, build a head and there you go. mixing rust, olive, brown, and red make a good looking leech.

I REALLY like the pattern. Looking for some good leeches, chironomids, scuds, etc as I'm getting back into the stillwater thing after a long absence. Cool hook choice. I'll check 'em out for sure.

Sagittarius62 - Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give the marabou chenille method a try. I think I could stack three marabou feathers together (three different colors) and then use my Magic tool to hold the fibers while I insert them into a dubbing loop. I think this is the same method used by Matt (Day5) on his recent sparkle minnow pattern. Thanks for the suggestion. I think this will let me use some of the smaller marabou feathers I had (the ones too small to palmer wrap).

PbSlinger - I think this pattern would work nicely for stillwater too. If you have a slow sinking line, I think that would be best. I have only fished the pattern in small streams so far, using a floating line (down-and-across presentation). The pattern is unweighted so it sinks very slowly. This has allowed me to fish shallow sections of the stream without snagging the bottom.

Thanks guys. :)

Ray, This fly has loads of potential in the U.K. as well. I don't know why, but hardly anyone over this side of the pond fishes leech's as such. You may get a few using the "Egg sucking"type of thing, but that's about it.

I've "Anglisized" your pattern a bit, (photobucket, arkle_photos page for yours and a few of mine on page 22,). I'm working on for an article in one of our leading mags. The editor has been sent a few dressings of several patterns to try out for himself & anyone else in the office over the next couple of weeks. Once I get some reports back, I'll update you.

:D

Arkle - I just took a look at your photos on Photobucket and I really like your "Anglisized" version! I think the combination of the bead and the flat disk are going to make this pattern dip and dart around on the retrieve. I also like the feather you used (is it bronze mallard or woodduck?). That should add another layer of color to the pattern to make it look more mottled when it gets soaked. Good luck with the article and testing out the pattern on your side of the pond. I'm interested in hearing how it works for you.

I also enjoyed looking at your other photos, too. There was one fly pattern that I have got to give a try. It was the one you called a Twinned G/B (double winged streamer with a gold body). Very cool pattern. :headbang:

P.S. - I am taking the liberty of sharing a photo of your modified version of the spectrum leech for others to see here.

post-4573-1211124134_thumb.jpg

The other day Ray volunteered to demonstrate this patters for me in the Virtual Classroom. I just wanted to thank him for his time and willingness to help a fellow tier. Ray's a huge asset to the community.

Here's the fly I tied under his direction (hopefully the picture will show up). I threw it in the bathroom sink and the movement is KILLER! Thanks again Ray!

IMG_2635.jpg

My biggest influence on this fly is Jack Gartside, but I have experimented in different things plus picked up some good ideas from fellow FF.

A friend named Slayer came up with the idea, of fattening the body to give this leech pattern more a minnow shape.

So, by tying in some Polar Chenille from the middle of the hook to the eye, then wrapping the marabou, it looks like this

PA130005400.jpg

to see better, I brushed it all foreward.

PA130004400.jpg

When wet, it forms a little belly like a minnow. Here is a Gartside Softhackle Leech on top, and the Minnow on the bottom:

PA130001400.jpg