Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Biggest fish/Smallest fly

Some interesting comments in another post, about small flies catching big fish. It is true, I've seen a 80 lb. tarpon landed after taking a #1 crab fly intended for a permit. My personal best in saltwater is a 30" redfish on a #6 bonefish bunny and a 21" Brown Trout on a #20 BWO. Not spectacular, but I'm proud of them. tongue.gif

Here is the Redfish:

user posted image

Beautiful Redfish Troutbum! You can't argue with success! It's still my opinion that big flies catch big fish, but as you've said that's not always true. I just feel that the probability of bigger fish, especially with some species is better using bigger flies but I'll certainly try to adjust to the conditions and use whatever size might be best at the time. Over the years I've had a few surprises when larger fish than what I was targeting took a small fly, and those instances really add to the enjoyment! I remember a large Pickeral about 26 inches long taking a small streamer I was using to catch Yellow Perch. The fly was only about an inch long tied on maybe a size 10 hook. I landed that Pic and shook for an hour afterwards! I was only about 13 or 14 at the time and it was the largest fish I had ever caught on a fly up to that time! Now that I think about it, I believe it's the largest Pickeral I've ever caught.

While drifting down the Colorado, I consistantly caught and put clients on thick bows and cuts using size 18-24 emergers and dries. The quality of the hook is what matters and we landed some heafty trout using minute flies. Some of those strong fish weighed 5-10lbs. Beautiful fish. Although I do tend to lean to big flies=big fish, especially with citaiton smallmouth and saltwater species. Chasing tarpon for a living kinda puts that into prespective. We used some fat flies and they worked better than stuff meant for puppy drum, I'll tell you that!!