Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

i need to find a cheap canoe or kayak

does anyone know where i can get a cheap canoe or kayak for less than $200 or even better less than $150...

thanks

sniksoh

:flex:

sniksoh, If it was the end of the season I would suggest trying the canoe and kayak rental places. I have seen a few good deals around but its at the closing of the season and they were thinning out some of the older models I guess. Sorry this wasn't much help. My son worked at a canoe/kayak rental for 5 seasons in a row, but now hes not there and I don't get to use the kayaks this year so I am on the search for one myself. The prices have came down considerably in the last few years. You can shop around and pick up a new kayak for under $300 now, but if you don't have the money they just as well be 3 million dollars :D

Take Care, and Good Luck

thanks, netabrookie

im thinking of maybe saving up and getting a inflatable kayak, but thats still around 250...the only reason im thinking about inflatable is because it would be easy to transport in my little car.

sniksoh

:flex:

Have you given any thought to an inflatable fishing raft at all?

back before I got into drift boats and power boats I started out with a Cabelas inflatable fishing raft http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...t&noImage=0

You can get the basic raft for $200. Then as money permits upgrade things on it.

Here's a pic of the one I had which was upgraded with a denier "boot" which firmed it up and protected it from punctures, also put a motor mount, an electric motor and batt in it. Worked great for a season or two that I used it.

IPB Image

Costco had a two person and a one person kayak--the single would make a difficult fishing vessel with a fly rod since it's cockpit isn't really large enough to keep the rod anywhere without it falling into the water. The double on the other hand would work great, but it's equally as heavy as a canoe which is why I bought a canoe instead of a pair of kayaks for my wife and I.

I don't recall for sure what the price was but I think it was $399

They used to have float pontoons there as well-- $225 or so.

Look for used canoes--I bought mine for $225 it's an Old Town.

Some inflatables kind of freak me out--I've rescued two different float tubers in belly boats who were sinking slowly enough that it became too late for them to get to shore before they realized they had a leak.

Check out the Bass Pro Shop Rouge River. It's made by Old Town and sales for $299. It comes with 2 paddels and the canoe is stable enough to stand up and fish, just don't set the hook too hard. I think they are having a sale next month, You might be able to pick one up for $250.

I love mine, very basic. Makes a great poor man's boat.

Nate

Try building one.

There are plenty of free plans available on the net. Google " pirogue" for starters or "sheet plywood canoe".

Most use 2-4 sheets of 1/4 plyood with some 1 X 2 softwood stock for stringes, structural components, etc.

Generally they use stitch and glue construction with eopxy resin and wood flour thickener to make structural fillets to glue it all together.

If you have or can borrow a jig saw you're in business.

Have a look.