Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DeerhairTom

Babcock Muddler or Pittsburg Steelers Muddler

I have been tying these at tying shows lately. Started with natural turkey and yellow, then graduated to the

Red White and Blue and now the Babcock wet fly colors (last name), or the Steelers colors. Thinking about football team colors set, I have a sheet of green foam the would make a great football field for display.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I chose to tye these at shows because I can demonstrate married-wings techniques, and working with deerhair.

DeerhairTom

Very nice. It would be cool to see all of them lined up on the field!

Nice deer hair work too. I have to practice that stuff!

Striking flies DHT. Look like they are fun to tie. I have been tying muddlers for a long time but I am just learning to marry wings. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks guys. They're a blast to tye and the color combinations are endless. You can be sure that

the rejects will go in my flybox. I have to locate some chartruese turkey rounds and tye up some

chartruese and white for smallmouth on the river. That color combo seems to work all the time.

DeerhairTom

Wow!! I love to Ty Muddlers but I never thought that you could do them like that Great Job!!!

Thanks For sharing DeerHair Tom

tyrite (Glen Dayton)

Thanks everyone. I am currently searching the internet for different colors of turkey rounds. Yep, the very first place I checked was J Stockard. I know Hareline sells pairs, but J Stockard does not list the rounds.

I may call J Stockard directly and make sure they don't carry them before I contact a place in Maryland.

I have quite a few colors from feathers I picked up at craft stores, but they only carry black, white and red in individual colors. The greens, blues and other colors come in a mixed bag and even after rewashing and drying, the quality is poor to average at best. Of course I need rights and lefts, so that makes it more difficult. I think I may have found a place that sells feathers to schools, but I need to order a small order and check out the quality. I'll have to order rights separate from the lefts, so matched pairs is out of the question. Plus I just hate giving my credit card number to a new (to me) small unheard of business.

I tried tying up some green and white last night, but the quality of the green feathers were so poor, I gave up. I could put them on the injured benched though.

DeerhairTom

Excellent idea!!! The color combinations could be endless. I'd like to do some up with troutfin (orange/black/white) wings and tail. I bet the trout would just hammer them. :D

PS - This looks like a great pattern for an August fly swap (football theme colors). It would make quite an interesting display to have all of the team colors done up in this way.