Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

need ideas for displays

I need to display single flies for an art gallery. I like the glass domes and picture frames but I don't want to display them all in the same way . They have asked me not to use an open display .Does anybodt have a suggestion how else I can display them?

Fred, I don't know and in fact doubt if its going to be of any help, but several years back I was at the Chatsworth Angling Fair (U.K.) and there were a couple of young guys from The Netherlands there who had just returned from the Dutch Flyfair. They had some super-realistics accompanying their display that were mounted in empty perspex cubes with about 4" square sides. At least one of these was designed so that one of the "insects" was escaping through the side of the cube! Obviously a glass case job for the health & safety people but it looked superb.

Take a look at Grahams site, his photography is in a class of it's own - as well as his flies. You may get some ideas for "sets" from there.

If i had the abillity to create such awsome works of art as the examples of real fies i have seen i would probably take an old 10gal. aquarium and creat a terarium type display out of them...but that's just me.