Fly Tying
coreycs

Out West Flies

Flys arrived. Nice job all!

I will be doing an Adult Caddis Swap on VFB after the 4th, if interested keep checking. :blink:

If anyone is interested in a Chili Pepper swap, let me know and I will send you the info. Chappy needs 11 more tyers (for 20). I framed last years results in a shadow box. :headbang: :headbang: This is the third year he has ran this swap.

Deserttrout

PS. I will not be responding to email etc until after the 4th as I am heading out in an hour or so for some lake fishing. :yahoo:

Jim

Flies arrived yesterday. :yahoo:

I was humbled by the quality; not a cull in the lot! :headbang:

I'll try a little harder on mine next time. :lol2:

Thanks Mustang Mike for all your work on this swap. :ban:

Flies received today! Great job folks! I am going to try all of these out as soon as the river receeds and the riparian areas are once again safely navigable.

Hi All,

Received the flies yesterday and they all look great. Going to try them out this weekend. The flows are down on one of my favorite haunts and some these flies may just be the ticket.

JP

Man, I gotta get up that way!! I wonder what it's like up in the Shaver Lake area or up by Sierra Summit?? :unsure: There was zero water last year and some of the toughest fishing conditions I've EVER seen up there!!

Got my flies a couple of days ago, they all look very good. I am very excited to put some of them in the water, and some of them in a fly box for reference if I want to tie up some additional flies. I am new to this and these swaps provide an excelent forum for ideas with all the excitement of a kid at Christmas.

Mike thanks again for hosting and everyone else for their flies.

C

I received my box back today and loved them. They were all of great QUALITY work! :bugeyes: There was one that didn't have a tag that looks like a parachute ant (i forgot to look on the list to see if i could figure out who tied it). But i have a beaver pond in mind for trying this one out. Another(x2) non-tag was a micro copper midge(?) that i have to confess that i don't think i have tippets small enough to to tie it on. :o Nor do i have a clue how to fish such a pattern...instructions PLEASE. :dunno:

But there is one that stood out in my mind while hiding real well in the box. Cory's BWO parachute blows me away...how in the world does a human tie this small of a parachute???. I am sorry that i MUST disagree with the name hi-viz...if it were not for the tag i would have lost it on the tile floor :j_k:

The 2 stimulators from Spike and professori are just what every-one keeps telling me to try around the Arkansas river (just down the street)...as soon as the water clears some i will.

Pat Carroll's bright yellow wet is another style i have ZERO experience with. Please instruct on presentation style and species...but is so well proportioned it caught me. :rolleyes:

Jeepclown's olive streamer is just what i have been looking for to chase the brownies down in the currently muddy waters of the Ark. I think the Truckee River Special should kill there as well (for the bows)after the water clears.

Bigdewy and CenCalFly...Your Stayner Ducktail and Royal look like just the ticket for a high lake that i love. i think the cut-throats will cozy up to them just fine.

So lets see.. Cut-throats on the lake, Rainbows and Browns on the river, and the brookies in the beaver ponds...I think you guys armed me for an interesting summer and fall. Hats off to all of you.

And if you are curious i chose the dead chicken because i have caught just about ever-thing on it at one time or another and some i wasn't after. It is good twitching or stripping on ponds and lakes or free floating on streams and rivers. Along with all trout it has caught a couple of pike, stripers, even a carp and a sucker or 2. It was the fly a bat decided he wanted one night. I am not sure what they think it is but they all like it...i like it because it floats high and you always see the strike.

Thank-you all for a great experience, Especially Mustang Mike for all of his hard work in hosting this :yahoo: :headbang: , If ever out this way let me show you some good fishing holes and a couple of watering holes. :D

DrVette,

The small beadhead nymph looks like a variation of a WD-40 or something. The way to fish it is in the Spring or Fall as a dropper. Take one of those stimulators and attach the small fly to the bend of the stimulator with about 18" of tippet. The stimulator should float and the "dropper" fly should sink and float about 12" or so under the surface of the water (depending on current speed). I have taken my largest Arkansas River trout on beadhead droppers just like that one.

This fly also works well in the winter as second nymph.

DrVette,

The small beadhead nymph looks like a variation of a WD-40 or something. The way to fish it is in the Spring or Fall as a dropper. Take one of those stimulators and attach the small fly to the bend of the stimulator with about 18" of tippet. The stimulator should float and the "dropper" fly should sink and float about 12" or so under the surface of the water (depending on current speed). I have taken my largest Arkansas River trout on beadhead droppers just like that one.

This fly also works well in the winter as second nymph.

Agreed! I use a midge or another dropper ocassionally and the results can be pretty cool!! B)

The dry fly acts like a strike indicator as well as for it's intended purpose. Those of you who haven't should give it a try!! :headbang:

I've always wanted to try a dropper system, but they are illegal here in BC. Next time I am in Washington or Idaho I'll have to give it a go.

I've always wanted to try a dropper system, but they are illegal here in BC. Next time I am in Washington or Idaho I'll have to give it a go.

Isn't everything illegal in BC?

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME !!!! :hyst:

BTW ...

See you all when I get back from my trip to the Kenai Peninsula.

I'm leaving tonight for a week long trip to the Kenai Peninsula, with no time left to tie any flies. (story of my life!) :wallbash:

I have a ton of flies with the exception of egg patterns and leeches. What other "normal" patterns could I take with any hope of success?? (Dry or wet) Is it any good to tie droppers, etc....?? :dunno:

Thanks gang!!

Got mine today. Thanks all for some really great flies. They are going out with me in the next couple of weeks on the Skagit.

Got mine today. Thanks all for some really great flies. They are going out with me in the next couple of weeks on the Skagit.

Professori -

I used your stimulator tie while fishing a lake at my nephew's property in Nikiski, AK. It was VERY successful in getting strikes. :yahoo:

You gotta send me that receipe and tying instructions!!

TTYS!!

Mike-Great to hear it brought you some success. I'd love to send you the recipe, but I make several variations of this fly and I am not sure which one I sent you. I think it had a peacock herl abdomen and orange thorax. If so the recipe is as follows

Hook - tiemco 200R #6-14

Thread - Orange 6/0 or 8/0

Tail - Deer or Elk body

Abdomen - Peacock herl

Palmered hackle - grizzly hackle (Use hackle 1 or 2 sizes small for the given hook)

Rib - Fine gold wire (Counter wrapped over the palmered hackle)

Thorax - Orange Scintilla dubbing

Wing - Deer or Elk body (extends to tail tip)

Hackle - Brown (Barbs twice the hook gap in length)