Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mswaterfowler

Finesse Worm Flies

My dad fishes a zoom finesse worm almost everytime we go fishing. He normally catches the biggest fish and never changes lures. I have been trying to come up with a fly to represent that lure. I tried furling some leechy-type stuffe and bending the hook back and tying the furled stuff onto the hook with some weight. the furled stuff is then impaled by the point of the hook, making it weedless. the fly itself gets a lot of bites but i can never get a good hookset. i was looking to improve this fly and was wondering if yall had any ideas or flies to improve this and what sucess have you had on them. thanks in advance!

can I see a pic of you fly? Ive found its less the look alike fly and more of the presentation. Slow sinking and slow movements. Try less or weightless and a intermediate line/tip.

WEIGHTLESS furled tiffany yarn worm fly. I've never seen a "fly" that looks more alive in the water. Build them with a mono weed guard instead of trying to rig them as you would a plastic worm.

BUT

You are not going to match the 'feel' of a soft plastic with a fly. I mean, how the soft plastic lure FEELS to the fish when the fish grabs it- soft plastics feel solid and chewy and lifelike. By "finesse" worm, I'm guessing you mean something relatively small. A dirty little secret is: you can cast a 4 or 5 inch plastic worm on a light wire hook pretty well with a 7 wt or heavier fly rod... cast a floating line, no weight added to the lure, and use the tip of the fly line as a strike indicator.

No, it does not hold the same satisfaction as catching them on flies we tied ourselves, but it can be absolutely deadly on bass. The natural slither of the unweighted worm or lizard combined with the feel of the soft plastic can't be beat, even if it is cheating.... but if you compare it to a "FLY" like a gummy-minnow, it can't really be cheating at all.

I have used 4 inch worms and lizards to catch bass when I couldn't buy a strike on normal flies. I use a number 2 or number 1 light wire Aberdeen hook, with a few modifications. I bend a short section behind the eye "up"- making a keel hook like you would tie a weedless bend-back pattern on. Then I tie in a small barb of 25 lb mono facing forward just behind the hook eye. This locks the head of the plastic onto the front of the hook when you rig the worm weedless style- it keeps it in place during the false casts.

It ain't pretty, and it might not be "fly fishing" in the strict sense, but it works.

Get a copy of "Bassin' with the Fly Rod" by Jack Ellis and read it- it is an eye opener.

there is a pattern on warmwater fly tyer that is meant to imitate a plastic worm. I'll dig it up and post a link.

Guest rich mc

what i use is a fly by www.jackgartside.com a bohemian chennile worm.has great action in the water but i do also have a problem with the tail fouling sometimes. i use a 3inch version on a size 6 hook. debarbing is a must . double wrapping the body will helpfill the hook gap . it does get heavy as it holds water. but that can help you. squeeze the water out and it will slow sink. i hold the tail [2times shank length] over a candle to taper it and keep it from unraveling.

i figured it out, i just undid the body off of the hook and it works fine! i cought about a two pound bass in only a couple minutes.

I have given some thought to movement in flies. To try to imulate living things. many materials are available.The most useful are those that have memmory,can be bent and then bend back.There is a technique of rigging a plastic worm in the center and fishing it weightless called the wackey worm or fenese worm. It is effective in part because hooked this way it has much more movement than a worm rigged in a conventional fashion.A six inch piece of mono has good memmory as do some feather quills.Either could be covered with belly white sili skin and colored to your or the fish's preference. A purist may scoff at this design but the fish wont.I like fish better than purist anyway.

A lot of movement can be made by mixing materials. I mixed bunny fur and marabou in a loop and came up with a fly that almost moves constantly. And it also has one other great fish catching attribute. Transparency! you can see through most of it in the water. But my favorite part...it really makes a SMAKC when it hits the water! :headbang: Understanding materials and how they work in the water is key. Add that to presentation and the "pattern" (not a fly but behaviour) of the fish and you will catch fish.

post-2608-1210902810_thumb.jpg

I tie a fly very similar to what fly tire posted, I just twist a length of chenille and let it go, when you let go of it it doubles itself over and turns into a twice as thick piece of chenille. Tie that on a hook wrap a body of chenille and wrap a hackle in front of the body, whip finish and you're ready to fish.