Fly Tying
dwiltshire

Micro Spiders

When the going gets tough...

These are very simple flies made from from nothing more than a few wraps of thread and a turn of grizzly. Tiny they may be, but when fish are not playing the game, they can be very useful.

I like to fish them on a short dropper - either above a dry fly or below it (NZ style). I can then use the dry as an indicator.

Hope you like the little blighters ;)

As ever, thanks all for all the comments.

Flytierforheir - as mentioned, these are on Tiemco - between size 18 and down to about #24. Have a few in different sizes and colours of thread.

Great flies! One question on colors, what colors do you often tie? What colors do you find most successful?

Great flies: I tie these same thread flies with CDC or Snowshoe hair for a tuft of wing stroked back over the hook shank like a caddis wing. They work great during midge hatches when it seems trout ignore everything you throw at them. You know, I never gave a thought to fishing them underneath on a dropper. I'm going to give that a try.

All the best

For djmyers - you can tie these in pretty much any colour and they'll have their day. I like beig, olive and browns. However, I like the Peasalls silks too in orange and purple. Usually used for snipe& purple / Partridge & orange spider patterns - and they work a treat hear too. Just keep the body slim and the hackle to a minimum. ;)

Feathers5 - I like the cdc pattern. A bit like an F fly. But the beauty of these is the fact they ride high in the water. The takes from these picky fish can be so tentative, the dry fly gives you the more obvious indication. When the spider's taken, the dry fly may totally disappear or just subtly drag to on side. You'll see what I mean if you try it... you'll just get the feeling, as you watch the dry, that something's different... use you sixth sense we are all blessed with. If even just suspect a take....lift!

Let me know how it goes ;)

Dave,

I've taken to tying my spiders on Daiichi 1640's, with a 2XS shank and a straight eye. I can tie the wee sizes and still have a good hook gape. Small and sparse will save the day. I like those a lot.

Dave,

I've taken to tying my spiders on Daiichi 1640's, with a 2XS shank and a straight eye. I can tie the wee sizes and still have a good hook gape. Small and sparse will save the day. I like those a lot.

Thanks ;) I'll look those hooks out. Gape size is always the problem with such tiny flies. straight eyes seem to help a little too. I have, on occasion used coarse fishing hooks:

IPB Image

I prefer the profile of a grub shaped hook, but these have worked really well. I find my main stock of fihing patterns are becoming more and more sparse B)

Dave,

Those Daiichi 1640's are about the same as Drennon Specimen hooks. They are a light wire hook, but I like the wee wets just under or in the film.