Fly Tying
Max

Weighted Streamers

I tied a cone head steamer with lead wrapped on the shank. It had brown rabbit on top with white marabou on the bottom. I was hoping the brown would ride up with a white under belly. It rode on its side. :angry: If it was a conehead only would it ride hook down? If it was lead shank only would it ride hook down?

You have a neutrally balanced fly. It might help to tie the weight only to the bottom of the shank, possibly change the hook to one with the head in line if the one you are using is down, or maybe use a different knot that goes through the eye instead of tying to the eye of the hook. I'm sure others will have more ideas.

Hi Max,

How a weighted fly acts in the water is based on a balance between the materials, where/how they are placed and where/how the weight is attached. Usually if the wing material (like a rabbit strip) is anchored to the hook shank (Matuka style or similar) and the weight is a small to medium amount (conehead and 4 or 5 turns of medium lead wire) the streamer will ride with the hook point down. On the same type of tie I described in the last sentence, if the wing is tied behind the cone and NOT anchored to the hook shank the fly may flip all or part of the way over in the water with the wing suspended somewhere to the side or above the hook; that position is based on the wing length/amount of weight. So, now that I've confused you what I do with almost all of my streamers is anchor the wing to a WEIGHTED hook shank/cone (or both) positioned so the hook point rides up; that means the wing is tie to the bottom of the shank. In this position they are less likely to snag rocks/bottom but can be a bit dangerous for you the angler because the hook point is hidden in the wings. A positive: Wary fish are less likely to refuse the hook-up-type streamer. A major negative with the point up (on real large hooks) is that a small fish can take the streamer and end up with a point through its eye. They seldom survive if releasing fish is your goal.

Another way to weight streamers is split shot on the leader. Be sure to check you local regulations because some areas don't allow additional weight on a leader. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

So, now that I've confused you what I do with almost all of my streamers is anchor the wing to a WEIGHTED hook shank/cone (or both) positioned so the hook point rides up; that means the wing is tie to the bottom of the shank.

Al,

I had attached the rabbit wing matuka style but used about 10 wraps of lead behind the cone. I will try reversing the wing and see what happens. I would be pleased if it rides hook up. I am also going to try using less lead. Thanks for the reply.

Max.

Sometimes, it's not all bad when a streamer rides sideways. Fish it in an erratic retrieve and it could immitate a wounded baitfish, which has the potential for triggering more strikes.

Wounded prey = less energy to catch = more strikes, and we all know fish are lazy in that way.

-PK

Sometimes, it's not all bad when a streamer rides sideways.

You do have a good point. I was pleased with the action.

Max,

The info that Al provided is a great guide for how materials will react with weight on the hook. I tie a lot with rabbit and have noticed spinning of the fly when cones are used with the Matuka style. With the matuka syle, just wrap lead on the hook and attach the rabbit strip to the hook shank in front of the hook (no cone). If you need more weight, us lead eyes and it will help balance the fly and negate some of the spinning. I use this on double bunnies and it works just fine. Cone heads on that fly spin too much and will just twist your line.

Hope this helps!

Chris

What do you guys think of this pattern? Would it ride hook down since the rabbit strip is over the cone?

Weamer Streamer

http://www.montanafly.com/productDetail.php?p_id=950

to me the hook is out weight by the rabbit but just remember there is no telling till it hits the water and you strip . just like clousers minnows they put the dark color opposite side of the dumbell weight eyes. at lest i do if you took some small lead wire and wraped it around the bend 3-10 time depending on what it took and covered it with thread it will right it self in the water some time drag from the current will help your fly unright it's self the point is just play with it till you get it right