Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
quillknot

CAENIS DRY FLIES

Hi guys , after observing my local stream for some time , i seen what i think could be Caenis hovering and darting just above the water , so i tried my best to lets say ( match the hatch ) i have included my attemts here...............what do you think........

p.s do dry flies really need a wing ??????? :dunno:

pps i hope the discriptions are right :huh:

ppps i think the hackles are to long , but at the moment thats all i have until i build up my feathers collection

can anybody advise me on best hackles to use for reasonable price .......cheers

Very nice. I especially like the top left and bottom right flies. Good eye, hackles are a bit long, usually 1 1/2 X the hook gape. If I'm tying a lot of the same sizes I like the Whiting 100's packs, or the Whiting dry fly saddles. I'm not usually very picky on materials for flies as far as quality is concerned and will almost always opt for the bargain in the right colors. Except on dry flies. A good quality dry fly hackle makes all the difference when tying dry flies. One of the few places I will splurge. Consequently, I tie very few dry flies. To save a little, the Whiting genetic hen capes nowadays are good enough to use on dry flies for fishing.

Tip: When I tie in the tailing fibers I like to sneak one last tight thread wrap up under the fibers. Perks them up a bit and secures them.

Thanks again OLD HAT for your valuable knowledge , im really beginning to get into this and armed with your wisdom one can only get better..........cheers..........jim

Very good quality at a reasonable price can be found at Conranch and Denny is very knowledgeable and friendly. Will help you out to learn what you need. Good info on the site.

Here is a link.... http://www.conranch.com/

Skip

Hy quillknot.I Was wondering which you like better for your dry's D/E or U/E on the hook????

tyrite

Hi tyright,

Personaly i like to use the down eye for ease of tying, i whip finish by hand so the down eye prevents the last couple of silk winds from slipping over the eye if you know what i mean , i just can't get used to them whip finish tools.........

but i like to use up eye for presentation on water.....

regards jim :P