Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Vito1

Pics from this weekend...

Spent a couple days at my parents' place in Northern Michigan which gave me time to play with my DSLR a little more.

There was a wild turkey nesting about 80 yards from the house but I was a few hours late and the nest was empty. 6 hatched and 3 unhatched eggs remained.

IPB Image

Also stumbled upon a young Eastern Hognose on my walk back.

IPB Image

We spent an afternoon in Ludington along the shoreline of Lake Michigan. The kids were happy to play in the sand and it was my son's first experience in it. Was glad to see he didn't try to eat it since everything else goes right in his mouth. ;)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The hummingbirds are starting to show up now that the temperatures are closer to normal for this time of year. Mostly females so far.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Great stuff Matt..Your Daughter is going to be a little heart breaker..You make some cute kids..

It sure looks like your daughter enjoys being the big sister. Great pictures.

Mike

Great photos!

ok, so I'm not a snake expert, but does that snake have a flat neck area like a cobra (i think that's the kind that come out of the basket when you play the flute). If so, I had no idea we had ones like that in the wild in the USA. I would have seen it and thought "COBRA". is the hognose poisonous?

You make some cute kids..

Thanks, Andrew. I'll have to give my wife most of the credit on that one.

ok, so I'm not a snake expert, but does that snake have a flat neck area like a cobra (i think that's the kind that come out of the basket when you play the flute). If so, I had no idea we had ones like that in the wild in the USA. I would have seen it and thought "COBRA". is the hognose poisonous?

This particular hognose does flatten it's neck in defense. They are not poisonous and will rarely strike. Even when they strike they don't appear to want to bite. Just trying to scare you. This was a young one, maybe 24" at the longest. We have found them up to 36".

IPB Image

Love the windblown hair shot.

A hognose was my young ones first pet. When all the other 6yr old girls are looking at the rabbits and guinea pigs, there was mine in the pet store, draping snakes around her neck and insisting she wanted one.

It was that day, that I knew Id be in trouble in the future and I kind of take pity on whoever decides to date her.

Yes, hognose snakes can flatten their neck to ward of predators. They also emit a foul odor musk, and have this low, growling-hiss. They're amazing critters. Mason county has a ton of hognose snakes.

Hey Matt, how was Ludington? That town is absolutely my favorite place on earth. Did you take your kids to House of Flavors? Best ice cream in the state.

Ludington is also the best place to catch a sunset on lake Michigan...Can't wait for my fall trip up there.

Hey Matt, how was Ludington? That town is absolutely my favorite place on earth. Did you take your kids to House of Flavors? Best ice cream in the state.

Ludington is also the best place to catch a sunset on lake Michigan...Can't wait for my fall trip up there.

Santosh,

I'm a big fan of Ludington too! I'm not sure I've ever been to Ludington without making a stop at House of Flavors. The Milky Way is my favorite! Jones' in Baldwin cures the fix if we don't make it to Ludington. One of these days I'll catch a nice sunset there. Seems I'm always fishing in the evening when I'm up there.

Have you ever visited Todd and Brad Reed Photography about 2 blocks east of House of Flavors? They have some beautiful photos from the lakeshore.

Santosh,

I'm a big fan of Ludington too! I'm not sure I've ever been to Ludington without making a stop at House of Flavors. The Milky Way is my favorite! Jones' in Baldwin cures the fix if we don't make it to Ludington. One of these days I'll catch a nice sunset there. Seems I'm always fishing in the evening when I'm up there.

Have you ever visited Todd and Brad Reed Photography about 2 blocks east of House of Flavors? They have some beautiful photos from the lakeshore.

I absolutely LOVE their BearClaw. It's sooooooo good. Another one of my favorite eateries there is Scotty's. Great service and food.

I always make a stop at Todd Reed's gallery. I have both of his books and got them autographed. He and Brad are simply amazing photographers.

Where do you stay Matt? We always stay on Hamlin Lake. You have to catch the sunset next time. They are GORGEOUS. Just take a front row seat at either pier/breakers. Bring you camera too!

Where do you stay Matt?

I stay at my parents' off US-10 near Branch. Its about 15-20 minutes east of Ludington. They built on some property after my Dad retired about 3 years ago. I definitely spend a lot more time up there now. Free food, free bed, and free babysitter to go along with great fishing. That's tough to beat! ;)

Have you been to the Scottsville Riverside Park? That was a nice park. I remember there was a time in August, around 6 or 7 years back, when the river was FULL of salmon.