Fly Tying

Dobson Flies

As many of you know I really love hellgrammites. Since I was just young pup I was in the streams seining them and using them as live bait for Smallmouth. They almost seem like a creature that was spawned from the devil himself and they will draw blood if you get any meat around their serrated pincers. But hey the Bass love them so you gotta do, what you gotta do.

I have only been fly fishing for a little over a year and the many years of playing with these little devils has me always trying to come up with new imitations using fur. There is one stage of the hellgrammites life that I don't know much about, and that is when they are adults. I would say that I have only seen a handful of adult dobson flies and most of them have been at night, but I would think at the right moment and time it could be quite the hatch because it's nothing to sein a couple hundred hellgrammites in 1/2 hr so that should equal quite the hatch.

I'm looking for info on how and when these guys hatch. The only info I could find is a quote from a site that says "The non-feeding adults emerge in the spring". I have also never seen any type of dobson fly imitation and have never heard of anyone fishing a dobson fly hatch.

There has to me somebody out there that can help me learn a little more about this bug.

Here is a pic of an adult which can reach 4 inches and is just as evil looking.

user posted image

Another

user posted image

That is one nasty looking candidate. I bet it raids the nest of small birds. laugh.gif

Never saw one. If I did, I'd shoot first. Kinda looks like the snapping turtle of the insect world.

I defiently fear the nymphs more..I wet wade most of the summer and these bastards are at your feet just waiting for a fresh piece of meat to chew on bugeyes.gif

Great pics. I have handled many a Helgrammite in my day, but never got that close to an adult.

I have only stirred up a few adults crashing the brush in well shaded areas, even near stretchs of river with tremendous nymph populations. Never really gave it much thought till now though! LOL

You've got me curious, If I had to guess, I'll bet the adults are crawlers as well. They seem to be suited to clinging to rocks.

Looks like a creature from a bad Japanees Si-fil film.

I have yet to see one in the creeks or rivers I fish around Pittsburgh.

I found an adult in a spider web on the fly shop at Neshannock Creek last year. I was wondering what won, the spider or the fly! Thanks for the link Billy!

The Hellgramitte larva crawl to the shoreline where they under go a metamorphis under rocks along the stream. They emerge as adults along the banks. They are more vulnable at night when they are looking for a mate...If you see adults its a good time to fish shorlines, the bass will concentrate there loking for the larvae...A good dearhair pattern can be used in the evenings skittered along the surface to bring up bass ( I have had 10lb sripers chase these big patterns)... I tie a size 2 deerhair pattern for them(sorry no way to post pics yet)...

SmallieHunter-

Just recently discovered this bulletiin board, so have been reviewing old posts in order to get a sense of the forum. You have received informative responses, but in case it might provide any additional information, here is a link to the page on my site covering Dobsonflies. http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/Dobsonfly.htm

That would be a really nice looking bug if it had a paper bag over it's head biggrin.gif

It's a good thing i wear my waders.How many times have you been bitten Nick?LoL!

Hey SmallieHunter,

I just had to make an attempt to try and tie that fly. Here's a few pictures of my first one. Now I know what to tie for my Creative pattern for the contest. I need to tie a bunch more to refine these. This one looks OK, heads kinda crowded.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I just read that the natural coloring is brown and grey, next ones will be colored better.

You're sucking my will to live Graham! Let me know what category your bugs are not going to be in biggrin.gif

Sweet job on the Fly headbang.gif i like the first attempt alot .

Brent.