Fly Tying
Pam Crossley

Floss silk for tying flies for salmon fishing

I should like to thank David C in Cumbria for recommending our brilliantly coloured floss silks to other members to use for tying their salmon flies. Chris W and Philip G from Aberdeenshire have also already ordered from me and will be telling all their friends. Thanks very much. :)

If any of you would like to send me photos of your finished salmon flies I would be very interested and, with your permission, will post them on my website!

These silks are really intended for embroiderers, which is the main group I supply, but I am very happy to see them used for this fascinating purpose. My son has been a dedicated fisherman from the age of about 8yrs old but, because we live in Suffok, his is river fishing and what he catches is no good to eat unlike salmon whichis my favoutite fish!!

Please do contact me if you are interested in trying these silks for yourself.

Regards from Pam Crossley

It's

http://www.fritillary.co.uk/Pages/silkthreads.html

The silk is very fine - being 90 denier, making it a bit slim for larger salmon fly bodies - but I have used it on the Britannia and Evening Star I posted on the classic salmon forum - colours are very good indeed and there are some excellent greens and yellows not available in the usual jap stuff.

Dave

Just a note to say that I ordered a few sleeves of this silk on June 2 and they arrived in Washington state USA today June 5th. That is superb service from England. The colors are even more lovely than on the website. As soon as I get the opportunity to use them for tying I will post another note.

Bruce

Just a note to say that I ordered a few sleeves of this silk on June 2 and they arrived in Washington state USA today June 5th. That is superb service from England. The colors are even more lovely than on the website. As soon as I get the opportunity to use them for tying I will post another note.

Bruce

Thanks very much, Bruce, I do try to despatch same day as order received, but have to be honest & say that it can take up to 7 days by airmail to reach the US! Glad you liked the colours & look forward to hearing your comments after you use them. Pam

After tying with this silk floss I can say that I am very pleased. It is composed of very fine silk strands that are not twisted thus two or more lengths of the floss can be tied in and they blend together beautifully as you wrap the floss. In addition it is fine enough that it can be used as a rib and keep the fly proportions all in tune. It is also strong enough that using it to twist as a dubbing loop works well and it burnishes easily without breakage problems. This is definitely a very suitable and affordable alternative to the very expensive Japanese silk floss normally used in fly tying. The range of colors is limited but the range does have a good number of colors that are quite useful for fly tying. For steelhead flies the purple, deep crocus, and the flame are particularly interesting.

Bruce

Thank you Pam, for bringing your product to our attention...........i WILL be ordering. And thank you Bruce for the encouragement. .........there's your lead.......... :D .......... how bout you post a fly? :P You know i like your tyin'. ;) mark..... p.s. see you in Whitefish i hope.........Misa goes to Japan in the mornin'.........the CJ'08 was a GAS! I'll be in Montana by the 24th...... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Thanks Willowhead, I look forward to hearing from you !

Thanks also to Bruce, I'm so glad you are pleased with the way the floss silk works - remember too that the range of colours can be extended quite considerably, but those are not stock colours!

It is so interesting to see how the floss is being used in this way, the flies are so beautiful, real works of art. We will be showing them on our website when its completely re-vamped together with one of our 'fishy' silk pictures & an article! Pam