Fly Tying
shadyvito

Weed Guard Help

I tie a lot of poppers for bass and the problem that I am having is that I have yet to catch a Bass on a fly with a weed guard. I usually use a strand of 30lb test which holds up well but I thought that maybe it was too stiff. I then used 15 lb test but it wasn't stiff enough and was hooking the lily pads and anything with a branch. I then began using two 15lb monos on them on either side of the hook. It makes it through the weeds ok but I have yet to get a bite on it. Here's where I'm at now. I bought these from the great J. Stockard:

IPB Image

I've seen these used before but can't remember how they were attached and I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any experience using these? Also, any other suggestions for weed guards would be great!

They are tied in on the bottom of the hook shank at the eye end with the "V" extending past the eye. Then flex the weedguard down and clip the apex of the "V" over the hook point. Just make sure when you tie them in, the "V" will point towards the hook shank when hooked over the point.

On another note, are you sure the problem is with the weedguard and not your hook set? Or, the are tails on your poppers too long. Bass do have a tendency to short strike alot. If the tail is too long, it could be the only thing they are grabbing. Do you feel the weight of the fish when you set the hook?

I hate using weedguards on my flys unless it is absolutely necessary. Unfortunately it is absolutely necessary quite a bit. I usually use clear 20# mono to make mine. If I get to the vise today or in a day or two I'll put a picture of one up. You end up with two loops of mono for a weedguard, which is pretty good at keeping the weeds, particulary pads, off of your hook but it is flexible enough to allow the hook to set on the most wimpy of hook sets.

Let me know if you want a picture. I'll get you one if you do.

Terry

I too use a double weedguard of 20# Hard Mason. Take a look at this video and see if you think this might work for you:

. Marc does a lot of bass fishing and this is the style he uses (and now me as well after watching him). Much of his fishing is in Louisiana lakes and backwaters, so he runs into a lot of 'stuff'.

TxEngr

Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer the hook set question, I really believe that the problem is with the single weed guard I was using. A good example is a diver I tied. The head was cork and the body was all rubber legs. I missed two fish and we were thinking that maybe it was the weed guard so I cut it off. Next bite, I caught the fish. I changed to the double weed guard for the same reason that Mark said in the video. I figured the guards would spread. I do, however, like the way he put them on compared to the way I do it. I tie two separate pieces on but don't cross them which I'm gonna try.

I too use a double weedguard of 20# Hard Mason. Take a look at this video and see if you think this might work for you:
. Marc does a lot of bass fishing and this is the style he uses (and now me as well after watching him). Much of his fishing is in Louisiana lakes and backwaters, so he runs into a lot of 'stuff'.

TxEngr

I saw Marc tye this fly several times at the Southern Conclave last year. He's an interesting guy who told us several funny stories. Good memories :headbang:

Oh, yeah, that's the same weedguard I was talking about, too. I learned it before I saw him do it, but it's the same thing.

Weed guards are the only thing I use Mason mono for, it was hightly recommended for leader butt sections years ago, that evolved to be not the case and now is obsolete.

Regards,

FK