Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lykos33

1st fish on my flies

Finally got on the water today and got to try some of the flies I have been playing with all winter. Actually caught and released 8 trout on 3 flies I did up myself. You folks are right about the feeling of catching something on your own ties. Granted the fish are not what I normally would brag about (from 5 inches to 8 inches), but wow what a feeling! I also discovered that one of the flies actually looks exactly like a minnow in the water. God knows it sure did'nt on the vise!! Black and white alternating marabou with a white dubbed body...next time it will have some lead wraps added.

Congratulations lykos!!! It sounds like you had a terrific day. Isn't it great seeing what the pattern looks like in or on the water. I find it very rewarding to tye a pattern, test it out and then modify it based on how it performs when fishing. It's fun whether the pattern works or not, but very rewarding when the fish approve of the pattern. Sounds like your doing great at the tying & fly fishing.

Congrats !!! I can't say that the trophies go mental for My flies either but they do catch fish and it does feel great, especially when a guy next to You is using store bought and blanks all day. What Your fly looks like in the water is way more important than what it appears like on the vise. First time I saw My BH bunny leech this year I swore it was a leech and My fly was behind it somewhere. I have truly found the best success though looking into local fly clubs and finding out what the hot flies are and then making them up the best You can.

Bigger fish will come in time and do Yourself a favor, don't look at last years flies next year and decide they aren't worth fishing. Over the Winter You'll find that You get better and better, but the old guys still work great. Best of luck on further catches...