Fly Tying

There was another thread that asked if you used your swap flies and it got me thinking. I broke out my flies from the foam fly swap #4. and went bass fishing. I had a chance to use 6 flies and had a great time. It was a 30/30 day. 30 bass from 2" to 15" and 30 sunfish between 7" and 9". The most bass I caught on one fly was on this by pat carroll.

IPB Image

The biggest that day was this 15" beauty on a flygirl fly.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The others were.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The only one I didn't have much luck with was from breambuster. Only 1 bass and 1 sunfish. I will give it another try. I did catch this beauty of a sunfish with it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

So if you have used any of your swap flies fishing, let us know how they did. Good or Bad!

BFR

BFR, beautiful photos . what program are use using to crop and add text . looks very profesional

Fred

Thanks Fred!

But the compliment has to go to JDD. He took the picture's for the foam swap and used photoshop the edit them. He did an awesome job!

BFR

I use my swap flys to fish with quite often. I take the time I need to learn how to tie them, which USUALLY doesn't involve dissection :rolleyes: , and then add water.

:D Thanks for that update...made a fairly crappy day alittle bit better :D I have started taking a box of flies from certain swaps with me but have been focusing on whats been hatching. Sounds like it would make for a good swap....Tie & Fish swap :D

I was pretty pleased with all of the flies from that swap :) I actually had the most luck with the wasp, about 75 sunfish in about 2 hours, it holds up great. there wasn't a fly in there that i havn't atleast hooked up with. once again, great swap :)

BFR

Awesome pictures, I haven't tried any flies from the swaps that I have been in, but I definitely will need to give them a shot. Over the years I have gotten some outstanding flies in swaps.

It was great to see my fly was a producer. That fly has been a producer for me, also. I have gone to larger hook sizes, 4 to 6, with different color variations. Where I fish yellow foam with peacock herl body has been most effective. A recent outing produced 3 nice bass, 2 were close to three pounds !!!

Thanks for sharing, interesting handle you have and your annual Santa Swap ain't too bad!!!

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Pat Carrol

I was looking at your fly and liked it very much. I got out my tying stuff and cranked out a half dozen. That looks like a good producer to me. I couldn't find any tying instructions so I just cam as close as I could. Do you have a name for it. Right now I'm just calling it the Pat Carrol Hopper until told otherwise.

I tried my frog fly today! no luck. I tried a few other with the same conclusion. Ended up catching 12 bass on a 1/2 in long san juan worm.

Pat Carrol Hopper
It has a ring to it!!! :D

I will keep updating through the summer!

BFR

I was lake fishing with my in-laws. Really windy and a crowded boat so no flyrodding.

But just my brother in law and I went out one afternoon, so I grabbed my 6 wt. and tied on the Cleveland Browns colored clouser from the NFL swap.

With that one fly I caught multiples of walleye, crappie, bluegill (big!) and bass. My brother in law was AMAZED.

And I need to tie more clousers!!!

Very cool to see guy's using swap flies and sticking fish.

I used Chrisfish's fly from Foam#4 and Phillip's Harry Christmas Hallmark fly to nail a bunch

of little trout here in So. Cal. Too much fun. I'm leaving to Bishop Ca. in a week and i have a HUGE box of swap flies that will be put to the test. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Hey BFR if you get a pic with my caddis in a fishes mouth will you post one so I can copy it. That would be killer. Thanks.

Oh yea maybe when I get back from Vacation I'll post Foam #5 :headbang:

Cool thread BFR!!

Justin