Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oxquo

Tokaryk special???

Does anyone know this fly? Apparently it's a fan favorite for many lakes in the prairies but I can't find any info locally or otherwise. I have heard reference to Tokaryk special and Tokaryk Brown. I can't even get a clear view of it in a fishes mouth.

A quick google search revealed the following:

Tokaryk's Special

Woolly Bugger

Bob Sheedy

There are as many different claims for the "invention" of the Tokaryk's Special as there are versions. I can proudly claim— that it was not I.

It is a Crystal Bugger—a wooly bugger tied with crystal chenille.

The secret to its success is the total arrangement. The Greenish body and black hackle/Marabou seems to be a key that Salmonids have problems resisting.

I tie these in two sizes - 8 and 10, but now have added size 12 to the list. For that version and the smaller size 14 with which I am experimenting, you will have to give up the Micro-Ice Chenille for spun Peacock Crystal Dub.

Pattern

Hook:

10-1/0 3x

Thread:

Black 3/0

Tail:

Black Marabou

Body:

Dark Olive Crystal Chenille

Ribbing:

I counter wind mine with gold wire

Hackle:

Black Saddle Hackle

In Early Spring and Late fall we often tie these egg-sucking.

This is the way I tie them. There are at least fifty other versions, but the basic pattern remains the same. I find sizes 10 and 8 are the best sizes but I have seen these things tied like Bow River Buggers that take fish and they extend a full four inches.

Bob Morenski, who also claims to have invented the pattern, likes to keep them in size ten, and if you know Bob, you're likely to agree as he wears out a baker's dozen each day on the water.

This is one of the most devastating patterns that I know. Fish mistake it for anything from a leech to a fathead minnow.

It definitely had its origins in Manitoba, but is used extensively throughout the Canadian and American West. Shortly after I posted the pattern on our website, New Zealand, Australia, and Sweden began to tie them. We received glowing e-mail on the pattern effectiveness.

Probably, it's a universal fly, and used by many before we "discovered" it.

Thanks a ton, sounds a lot like the fly I tied before I knew what it was. I tied Mine with olive hackle though and an olive marabou tail with peacock ice chenille. I'm gonna try the brown and black though, thanks for the info, I did try google but only saw the name a ton of times. Much appreciated ....

thanks for the fly research, I went out yesterday the day after the fly fishing derby and managed My personal bests twice, then I snapped off on a monster at shore due to My line wrapping up on a twig. Both 22" and 25" were caught on a black and green ice chenille size 10 2x nymph and the hook then swam away with what must have been a monster. He hit and ran with just his back out of the water for 20 yards before I noticed My line was in a mess. Awesome fight though and very productive pattern. There was even a huge fish in about 2' of water that showed interest a few times but not in any other fly. He must've been caught recently as He would follow up quickly and then disappear. As for the derby, not sure how it went but people remember the purpose of a catch and release lake and derby is that the fish live, Please take time to revive Your catch, I saw atleast half a dozen freshly dead fish on the lake bottom, it was simply disgusting. Anyways thanks for the fly research.

post-13219-1213043669_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this is what they refer to as the Tokaryk, but this is the fly that worked for Me. So as to not cause a confusion if this is not the exact fly. I will list it in the pattern data base as Ice Bugger since I used Ice chenille instead of crystal chenille, either way, it turned out to be a great fly and even the day after the fly fishing derby it produced 2 of My biggest Tiger Trout and I don't want to mention the one that broke off again. Well worth carrying even if You feel too advanced to fish buggers.

post-13219-1213197057_thumb.jpg

black tail - olive body - black hackle woolly bugger is one of the classics, no matter what name you give it. It is definately one of my "go to" flies for everything in fresh water, and has been for well over 20 years.

It seems to drive the tigers nuts but on another lake stocked with bows, browns and possibly every perch in the country has been cloned and placed in there, which of course ends My 100% catch and release policy because I intend on taking 25 home per visit just to help thin the populations. This fly did very little. I managed an 18 inch rainbow but thats it. Backswimmers seem to land the trout like crazy there sadly, the lifespan of a backswimmer is only about 25 perch. Even going to a caddis fly the perch were surfacing for it. and We stayed right till 11 pm which is when I decided that perch don't sleep in this lake at night either.

Back to this fly, it does work great and looks great. It has worked in brown as well from size 6 down to size 12. I think I may even try it in a mohair leech style.