Fly Tying
Old Hat

Buzzers vs. Chironomids

What are the main differences other than geographical? :dunno: If any. "Not trying to open a can of worms :D "

Pretty much what I suspected. I don't see too many "buzzers" though it seems with beads. However a lot of the western chironomid patterns use a bead. I am familiar with the standard fishing techniques for chironomids and maybe someone from elsewhere could elaborated on "buzzer techniques without beads.

I'll be honest that one of the attractivenesses of this site to me is the globalization of patterns and methods.

Here in BC chironomid fishing is by far the most prominent stillwater technique. Many patterns incorporate bead heads, but an equal number are beadless. When fishing either type of pattern, many anglers pinch a splitshot 12-18" above their fly and use the weight of the shotto assist getting the fly down to the fish. Another technique is to place a swivel at the end of the leader and then tie a short tippet to the swivel and attach the chironomid to that. In either case, the fly is most often fished a foot or two from the bottom of the lake. This can mean leaders of up to 30'. Beyond that depth a full sink line is the only way to fish.

Here is a small sample of some BC patterns:

http://www.flyfishbc.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/552

Hell, that was a great question. Check out You Tube under Davie McPhail. He tyes a couple of buzzers that kind of end up with a bead head. I tied some up last month and they worked real well in upstate NY.

T

Thank you. That is a great nice site and I have scanned over it before, and found it just as entertaining the second time around.

As a personal note: I do prefer the look and style of the "buzzers" to our western ice cream cone style chironomid flies.

Sorry, I know, I just felt like lumping. I like the look of the epoxied buzzers with the nice taper and biot splashes of color along the sides of the thorax. I have always had luck with chironomids in tailwater systems but surely need more practice in the art of fishing them in still water.