Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

I'm going to see RUSH!!!

I saw them on their "Moving Pictures" Tour..........early 80's.......maybe late 70's.....

I belive that was '82. My dad saw them then too.

It is cool that we share common interests. Fly tying/fishing and good music :)

Well i decided that i would invest some time and effort to research info on Neil Peart's education back-ground. It isn't looking very simple from my starting point since he seems to have gone through a life change with his book "The Masked Rider" and completely eliminated referances to anything earlier???

But i did find that he has a great site that you might like the drum solos he placed on there. It is neilpeart.net

enjoy.

And as Getty Lee stated for the bob & doug mckenzzie(sp?) album Great Whit North...$10 is $10 eh.

Ok, in my search for Truth i have been found a fool. :unsure: :blink:

It turns out that by an early 80s interview Neil Peart declared that he was actually a high-school drop out. No degree no nothin??? :dunno:

I am still searching for the book i was given in the early nineties that i thought was written by Peart??? I remember it dealing with syncopation and a lot of references to Buddy Rich. But the funny thing is that i can not find any references to it in lists of Neil Peart's accomplishments. It was a short paper back if i remember correctly that showed different ways of varying time keeping to create syncopation and introduced some simple exercises to build double base and multi foot pedal techniques. It also showed how some of these things were derived from other musical styles. The best exercises i ever learned were from that; on foot pedals go rt. lf. rt. rt lf rt lf lf. repeat slow and steady build it as fast as you can keep even...it is not easy when added to various hand techniques. If i could find this book again it could be worth a mint.

In the mean time if you guys happen across a big bearish fellow named Ed Tatom please land a fly or 2 in his beard to embody my annoyance derived from hours studying music appreciation and that stupid flute/recorder for music reading classes. That would be a great laugh to see. No hurting him as he is still pretty cool despite the misdirection he handed me.

The ghost rider excerpts from Neil's works were worth the time of my exploration...I really should do more.

I think that the first concert i saw of Rush may have actually been Moving Pictures and not 2112... I just bought a 2112 shirt there... I know it was 80 or 81. :dunno:

HA! Band camp...... JK I almost had to go through that. I had band scheduled for my freshman year (last year) so I had seven hours. I really didn't want seven hours so I dropped band and kept art. The hours are rediculous. Every day for like 8 hours???? Plus I hated marching. I really liked jazz though and concert band wasn't bad. I kinda regret it but not a ton. What grade are you going to be in? What instrument doyou play? I played trumpet.

Oh cool! Ya I hated marching with the trumpet. With a tuba?!?!?!? I don't know what I'd do! Have fun as a freshman. Don't take crap from the older kids! Actually I didn't have much trouble with upper classmen. Most of them are pretty cool. They don't care what age you are.

I saw them on their "Moving Pictures" Tour..........early 80's.......maybe late 70's..... :dunno:

Now that was a tour to witness. Best setlist of all time. Lucky you.

I'm going to see my favorite band this summer! Rush in concert at the Marcus amphitheater in Milwaukee, WI. I missed them twice down in Detroit but they happened to be in Milwaukee at the same time I'll be at my grandparents house in Marinette, WI. Needless to say I'm REALLY REALLY excited. I'm thinking they probably won't be touring a whole lot longer. This was an opportunity I couldn't pass up! Done with my rant now.

:yahoo: :headbang: :D :rockon: :thumbup: :kicking: :jumpy:

I saw them last September on the first leg of the S&A tour in Cincinnati. Awesome show! 3.5 hours of pure entertainment plus Digital Man, Entre Nous & Circumstances...seeing those three songs in person was worth the drive and the price of admission.

You'll love it but they have tweaked the setlist this time around.

Oh I'm sure I will love it! Getting to see them play some of the classics will be really cool. I would really like to hear some songs off of thier really early albums like fly by night, carress of steel, a farewell to kings etc. but it doesn't look like they're going that far back. But I like pretty much every album they put out so I won't be disappointed!

NP's definately a PhD, and an astronaut, and a brain surgeon, and a nuclear physicist, and a Canadian secret-agent/assassin ninja. He rides his motorcycles from gig to gig. I like a lot of Rush music. It should be a pretty good show, I've seen a fairly recent concert of their's on TV and it looked like it would be great to be there.

Only 2 more days! I'll let you know how it was when I get back. Well I'll be at my grandma's house but I've got internet access there so....... I'll let ya'll know!

WOW!!! The first professional concert I have been to and it was amazing! They add humor to the show which makes it even better! They played A TON of songs. They must have played almost every song on the moving pictures album! They even played 2112 up to the temples of syrinx! They put on an amazing show. They're getting older but they still have fun doing their thing! Niel's solo was sweet also. Songs from hold your fire, snakes and arrows, moving pictures, caress of steel, permanent waves, vapor trails, some I didn't know but were awesome! The lights and fire was really cool. If you are a Rush fan try to get to see them before they are done for good.