Fly Tying
CoachBob

What does your fly tying table face?

My fly tying table faces (is immediatly next to) a window.

For many years I tied in an alcove and eventually found it claustrophobic.

Then I moved the desk facing into the den and found keeping the front AND BACK of the desk neat was too much work.

Eventually I moved to an east facing window looking out on a grassy lot and the fronts of my neighbors houses. In the AM the sun provides all the light I need for the table and I can see the weather and neighborhood activities, as well as the arrival of the mail and UPS trucks.

I don't think I could go back to facing a wall again.

What's your preference? Why?

Guest Big E

Right now I face a unfinished stud wall and most importantly, a TV. While I rarely find myself looking at anything past my vice when I'm in the zone, I do find the TV a nice diversion when I get tired of tying.

Hopefully here in the near future I will be facing a window overlooking the water.

Mine faces a window looking out the front of the house. Usually the blinds are closed.

I rarely use my table, i like to tie outside facing the rocky mountains the most though.

For about a year mine was here:

IPB Image

Now it's on the wall to the right, there is a window, but it's smaller and about a foot and a half higher.

The spot in the photo is great if there isn't too much direct sunlight. It got too bright at times, especially with snow. I found turning the desk 90 degrees worked the best.

The new set up though is easier because i don't have to move the couch every month for Guys, Flies & Pies. so it's a good setup still!

Oh, that's in the living room. (Yes, my wife is awesome!) ;)

Mine faces a wall but I have maps of rivers I've fished..This winter I'm planning on putting up some cork board & start a collage of fish/fly pics (approx 18 x 24 ). when it gets full I'll frame it up & start another one.

Mine faces a wall in my gunroom, but I also have a small table which I use in the TV room and just move the pertinent tying materials there.

Mine is facing East in the corner of the home office adjacent to the computer desk. There are 3 windows adjoining my tying desk; 1 East and 2 South overlooking the backyard garden, a small meandering creek and the golf course beyond. White blinds help soften/filter the light during morning to midday tying sessions. I enjoy tying the most from spring time to present in the early morning before everyone is awake and can enjoy the beginning of the day with a fresh cup of coffee, the windows open and the sounds of birds chirping/singing in the distance.

I Fly-tie for the relaxation; Flyfish for the freedom; Cast to the challenge; Land if I'm so blessed and Release to re-live it ALL!! :rolleyes:

mine faces a wall ,by a window . and just outside is a bottle brush tree that the humming birds swarm. And as of late two young cottentails have come to enjoy the shade and play fight it seems for my amusement. For father's day I was given a new larger desk with a matching hutch . so now I have more than ample room and is evident by the number or realistics I've posted since then.

I think natural light is important when tying and the view outside the window helps relax tired eyes that have been peering at a hook too long.

my workbench faces the wall in our computer / workout / spare room. Why? Because that's where my wife told me I could put it.....

you think your claustrophobic try facing a wall with a small desk in my room till i bought a t.v. diner tray table like 7.99 at wall mart i just attach the vice to it if i want to look out the window i do so if i want to watch tv i do so i keep the materials in a store chest much like a 29.99 dresser from EL wallmarts this and shoe sized boxes from rubber maid and just get out what i need to tie a doz or so flies and put it away when done and vacuum the rug were i was any ways good luck and tight lines rhino.............

here are some to look at

http://www.target.com/TV-Tray-Set-Natural/...tray&page=1