Fly Tying

45 incher off South Beach

Here is magnificent Striper...on a fly... off south beach by a guy from NY.

post-33-1086141952.jpg

No kidding that is a nice fish, one of the bigger ones that I have seen a picture of.

Any idea what fly the guy caught that fish on?

I don't know what fly, but I suspect it was a Clouser... 3 or 4 inches long and either Olive or chartruese. You needed fast sinking lines to get the line and fly right down to the bottom to have any chance at these babies.

What a great looking catch! I've got some Clousers in those lengths in Olive over White and Chartreuse over White, both with a Black dorsal stripe and made entirely of "Unique Hair". I'll try to post pictures of them. (Hey, if I can't post pictures of a fish like that, I can post the streamer! laugh.gif )

QUOTE (luvinbluegills @ Jun 3 2004, 07:16 PM)
What a great looking catch! I've got some Clousers in those lengths in Olive over White and Chartreuse over White, both with a Black dorsal stripe and made entirely of "Unique Hair". I'll try to post pictures of them. (Hey, if I can't post pictures of a fish like that, I can post the streamer! laugh.gif )

So now I am really curious. I've heard of "Unique Hair", but I have not seen it and don't know what it is or how it is used. Maybe it is time for another internet search.

I'm also curious about the black dorsal stripe. Is that just a "layer" of black hair tied between the light and dark hair on the top and bottom?

Ken S.

kschu,

Here is a link to what unique hair looks like: http://www.greencaddis.com/product_info.php?products_id=395

If your tying a clouser tie it in just as you would bucktail. This material breathes and moves in the water giving it a nice action compared to "stiff" bucktail.

I also add the black strip like Mark does especially when doing a baby bass imitation. The clouser would consist of a white belly, black strip and then olive on top giving it that perfect baby bass look. To answer your question "yes" it is just a layer between your top and bottom colors.

Well, there ya go! Tie on the belly, turn it over, tie in the "lateral line", the tie in the back. I think Pujic has an excellent Dace pattern Clouser picture somewhere in the fly tying section that shows this really well. I had no idea something this size could take a monster Striper like that one!

Hey John,

what are the odds of landing a beast like that ona 6 wt? rolleyes.gif

Awsome Striper! What a catch ESPECIALLY on a fly rod. Bet his grin was wide as the fish is long. biggrin.gif Anyway that is one heck of a fish. ttyl and tight lines.-Tim smile.gif