Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
James Daly

Cotter Pin Intruder

Greetings all,

Found a great use for cheapo cotter pins whilst searching through some other forums. Novel, the little extra steel on the tip of the pin makes for a perfect spot to clamp on the vise. This is an 1" cotter pin, 3/16" in size. The weight of the pin gives the fly a nice quick drop in the water and the beauty is they are about 6 bucks cheaper than waddington shanks. WOO HOO! I'm gonna see if a Lake Erie steelie will eat one of these this upcoming season. So, there will be a multitude of color variations and sizes in the box, along with some crazy tubes. I had a ton of success last year on hot spot stone flies in sizes 10-14, most of those flies can fit in the gap of the flies I'll be chucking this year. LOL! For your critique and amusement. -Jamie

post-4102-1214795577_thumb.jpg

Jamie, fly looks OK.has possibilities. Could you tell me how you attach the hook?

Bob

Thanks, Bob. The hook is attachec with a mono loop. Most of the time it's fireline, but I don't have any of that around so I use 15 lb mono. Just wrapped to the shank like a gut eye, except I wrapped the whole shank. -Jamie

thanks Jamie, definitely try some of those , they have real possibilities for some of our Estuary work around here. Bob

GENIUS!!! :punk: :clapping: :thumbup: :yahoo:

Jamie - I love this idea! I'm going to run out to the local Ace Hardware store tomorrow to buy up some of these cotter pins and try them out. I think cotter pins would also make killer wiggle tail nymphs if you can find them in tiny sizes. I'm sure it would be cheaper than destroying a hook to make the extended wiggle tail.

Again, what a great idea! Thanks to whoever thought of it and thanks for sharing it with us here.

Jamie - I loved this idea so much that I stoped by our local Ace Hardware store and bought up a small variety of cotter pins to try out. I was able to find them in steel, aluminum and brass so which will also have an impact on their weight (kind of like changing the metal for tube flies to suit your needs). Any way, very cool! B) ;)

Jamie, you never sease to amaze........and all you guys are the BEST! Your love of the "pursuit of happiness" is so infectious. That is a very cool fly.........i've never seen anything exactly like that. Is that a Gamakatsu hook in the rear there? mark..... :)

I know a few guys who have been tying on cotters for a few years now. The original intruder was built on a cut off hook. Then some started tying on waddingtons. I think about every avenue has been done (and I've tied on them all). Cotters are so easy to come buy, and MUCH cheaper. I like the quick change up of a tube, it's my prefered method (tying on the smaller diameter tubes). Can switch out the hooks easier, depending on what I'm trying to fish for.

VERY cool Jamie, i've bought up a BUNCH of Qwner hooks......a lotta of 'em are red. Ya gotta figger that if the fish can see the hook......might as well use one that may just look like a trail of blood. :D mark..... ;)