Fly Tying
rhinorods69

another round of name this bug

what kind of moth is this

IPB Image

IPB Image

any ways if you can name it thanks good luck and tight lines rhino...............

rhino

Your shots are pretty fuzzy, but that looks to me like a Luna moth. They are supposed to be getting scarce over most of their range.

Rhino,

I agree. It looks to be a Luna moth.

Here's a shot of one from my house a few weeks ago.post-14633-1214972214_thumb.jpg

Luna moth it is. They were all over Arkansas a couple years ago. I haven't seen many though lately.

Mike

yep never seen one before i am guessing thats what it is from the other photo thanks and good luck and tight lines rhino.......................

rhino

Your shots are pretty fuzzy, but that looks to me like a Luna moth. They are supposed to be getting scarce over most of their range.

Definately an Actias luna, and they are NOT "getting scarce over most of their range." There was another thread here recently concerning them. In fact in parts of their range (which includes most of the eastern US, given suitable habitat) they can be one of the most common of the Saturnid moths. As with the vast majority of Saturnids, people don't often see them because they are completely nocturnal.

Luna moths are AWESOME. Totally beautiful and much like their other local relative the Polyphemus moth, big and bold! When I drove for a Limo company I'd see them every time I went to Nemacolin Woodlands, even during the day, in the outer alcove of the main entrance. For some reason that spot attracted them like crazy. To bad it was like 40 feet high or I'd have brought one home! :D