Fly Tying
Bakerloo

Dyna-King Kingfisher

With the cost of fuel continuing to climb, I will be be carpooling to work for the upcomming school year. My ride share partner like to get to school an hour early to prep for his day. (I do my prep at the end of the day). I will have about an extra 45 min. per day with nothing to do, so I might as well tie some flies.

I already have a Renzetti Traveler as my home vise. I want a vise to keep in my classroom for those times when I have no prep work. I don't want to carry stuff to school and back home all of the time. Dyna-King has a complete Kingfisher kit that uses Dr. Slick tools (including scissors, bobbin, threader, half hitch tool, hair stacker, cement needle), An instructional CD rom and book. Tying materials include dubbing, thread, daiichi hooks, hackle feathers, peacock herls, elk & deer hair, and head cement. Everything a tyer needs to tie some caddis flies right away. The cost is only $225.

Deal or no deal?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I would be careful of the quality of the materials. I would by a vice like the King Fisher and a few tools and take the materials from home for what you want to tie that week. If it's caddis then take those materials for the week and when home tie something like a adams that uses different material. Each week pick a new fly. Even if you tie 1/2 dozen a week it's 6 more than you would have. Just my .02.

Jeremy

It "sounds" like a deal at first to me, but if you actually start pricing it out its really not that good of a deal I dont think. Because the kingfisher is only $135 (sometimes cheaper on ebay NEW) then you got about $40 worth of tools, so that means your paying around $50 for a few basic materials, a dvd and a book.

That's kind of what I was thinking, Steeldrifter. If you need the book and DVD, then it may make it a little better, but you probably don't need them. The materials are something you likely already have plenty of and could take some of it to work. I think I would just buy the vise and some tools and leave the rest of the stuff. That's just my opinion. . . I could be wrong.

I use the King Fisher as my travel vise as it was my first "real" vise. I like the idea of just buying it alone and keeping material and tools for what you are working on at the present time. That's kind of how I do it anyway. I see a new pattern or some thing I want to try and get obssessed with it till I get it right. OCD? Yeah, that's me.

T