Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Grand River Ontario - HELP!

There is a small possibility that I will be heading to the Grand River in Ontario at the end of the month. I will have the wife and son with me so my fishing time might be limited a few hours each day, probably very early morning and late evening.

As you all know by now I have VERY limited knowledge of trout, and a even less knowledge of hatches. I have never even tied on a dry fly besides when I mess around with some gills. I read that the Grand is one of the best dry fly rivers in the east so catching a few trout on a dry is something I defiently want to accomplish.

I do need your guys help.

I found a hatch chart: http://www.flyfisherman.com/westerncanada/...dhatchchart.gif

I see some black caddis, sedges and grey fox's that should be hatching around that time.

I know alot of you guys have fished the Grand so any help for fly recommendations would be much appreciated!

http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com/Rive...geriverinfo.htm

look at the Upper Grand River Hatch section

I know right now the upper river has some black midges, march brown and crane flies (I have also seen the occasional caddis (olive boddy greyish wings size 16 would be good).

Middle river has march brown and caddis (various olive, and tan)

Depending on where you plan to stay (probably Elora) you will have good luck with march brown and caddis flies.

projected weather should be good for the next 6 days.

20 - 24 relatively humid.

Im going out after work (about 1.5 hours)

River temp is 16 and humidity is up so Im hoping for some good action tonight.

I will post pictures if I am sucessfull.

Any specific patterns I should have with me? I can tie Elk Hair Caddis' but other than that I have never attempted a dry fly, I'm sure I can tie them just never attempted.

Also any nymph/emerger patterns worth recommending?

Will you'll be in the company of 2 top notch anglers on this trip so dont worry you should be "Golden" laugh.gif

BTW who invited the bass fisherman rolleyes.gif

SD

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jun 3 2004, 06:01 PM)
Will you'll  be in the company of 2 top notch anglers on this trip so dont worry you should be "Golden" laugh.gif

LOL, remember to "borrow" flies from them. Keep an eye out for any flies they get kinda testy about lending, and sneak one of those when they aren't lookin whistling1.gif

just kiddin, have a good time guys!

steve

where are you guys fishing?

Elora? Fergus?

Temperature is warm humidity isnt all there.

Last night there was not alot of action, the temp really died off by the late afternoon.

Hopefully the temp stays high and the humidity picks up a bit.

Hey Will, I haven't experienced the Grand but anywhere I find caddis and craneflies I like to fish stimulators. They are a broad spectrum attractor and they float really well (and they are easier to tie and they look pretty cool!)?

HAHAHAHAHAHA I knew that would come up again! This may be just the trip to redeem myself on.

QUOTE (tightlines @ Jun 4 2004, 01:22 PM)
where are you guys fishing?

TL i'm not sure where we will be fishing yet but at some point i deffenitly will be hitting the tressle area for a few hours. Theres a couple pools and a run in that area that i did very well in the last time i was there. wink.gif

SD

Will we should be right in the middle of the brown drake hatch from the looks of the hatch chart so thats a pattern you should tie up.

Also i had great luck on my last trip with sow bugs and green caddis larva in size 18/20's

Heres a few others that should be hatching or at least it says they should in the grand river hatch chart i have.

Large red fox

Isonychia

light cahill

Small blue wing olives

SD

Sign in to follow this