Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Norm Norlander is the Ron Popeil of the tying world.

What would qualify, you to make this statement other then a keyboard..

I own a Nor-vise and think that the versatility of the vise, in the right hands is amazing.

Is it too complicated or too hard for you to wrap your head around the "how to" of the vise?

I have been fly tying for over 25 years and have used and tied on most if not all types of vises.

Take offense to this if you must, I want to understand your statement, I long ago gave up giving people sanction, or believing what people type or say , just because they say it like they mean it, or believe it is true.

If you have backed your statement up somewhere then direct me to it, and I will read it, may not agree with it but I will read what you have typed.

Nah, I don't take offence to what you said, I got a lot bigger problems to worry about. It just seems to me the Norvise is the reinvention of the wheel and I wanted to express it with a hint of sarcasm but I guess some people can't handle it... :dunno:

Norm Norlander is the Ron Popeil of the tying world.

What would qualify, you to make this statement other then a keyboard..

I own a Nor-vise and think that the versatility of the vise, in the right hands is amazing.

Is it too complicated or too hard for you to wrap your head around the "how to" of the vise?

I have been fly tying for over 25 years and have used and tied on most if not all types of vises.

Take offense to this if you must, I want to understand your statement, I long ago gave up giving people sanction, or believing what people type or say , just because they say it like they mean it, or believe it is true.

If you have backed your statement up somewhere then direct me to it, and I will read it, may not agree with it but I will read what you have typed.

Nah, I don't take offence to what you said, I got a lot bigger problems to worry about. It just seems to me the Norvise is the reinvention of the wheel and I wanted to express it with a hint of sarcasm but I guess some people can't handle it... :dunno:

That's a leap but what ever. :rolleyes:

I finally swapped my old Terra (from Marriott's store on a visit to Riverside, California many years ago) for a Marco Polo to use for club tying and traveling. I started on a Thompson's A from Elgin when I lived there in the late '60s. Upgraded to a Regal Inex when they first appeared and still think the Inex is a terrific vise. It just works. Even took it to the club off and on, but preferred the little Terra because the whole kit was so small. small enough to fit in a, sort of, not really, but almost, man bag. The Marco Polo box fits in that same bag, a little stretched from years of use with the Terra wooden box. I don't think Terra was the brand back in those days, but you've probably seen similar before.

The vise in the Marco Polo convinced me to try the C&F Reference. The Reference head is the same as in the portable but on a full rotary mount. Along with the vise, I learned to like the C&F bobbin, there's a plug of sponge at the spool end of the tube that keeps my thread from slipping out (no more sucking the thread through the tube, though). The same sponge provides a bit of additional tension when I let the bobbin holder hang; I've since bought a half dozen of them along with the clever 3-thread bobbins and they'll eventually replace my old S&M bobbin holders, my favorite ever since reading about them in Best's Production Fly Tying. The other C&F tools have a nice feel to them, so I splurged and picked up a second setup for our summer home in Vermont.

My old Thompson went to my 9 year old grandson a week ago. He's hooked already, caught a rock bass on the first cast with his first fly. I decided that deserved a step up from the cheap kit vise he got for Christmas from TJMaxx.

I collect vises............................................

My favorite to tie on is the JVICE. I just sold my Renzetti Master to allow me to upgrade to one of JVICE's damasteel jaws. They look incredible.

My favorite to look at and to own is one of L. Waldron's LAW vise's.

No, I don't agree with Titan, Norm invented and manufactures a quality product. Its not everyones ideal vise, but as a long time user, I can attest to the quality of the products. Ron Popiel sold cheap imported crap (remember the Pocket Fisherman,) and he touted this and other junk as great products. Come on spray on hair, who uses that? Long time Nor-vise user, and proud owner.

Looks like the Sidewinder I have in the background. Do you not like it???

Yes, thats an old Sidewinder. Traded a friend for it, he didn't like all the fiddley adjustments, and since he uses mostly a non-rotary Regal, he was happy to trade a Hardy Perfect for it.

I like it fine, and use it from time to time on big stuff.

I have my table setup for the Nor-Vise, and it is what I use 80 to 90% of the time.

i currently have an anvil apex... a pakistani knock off of the thompson a.. and a norvise..

this is my second norvise.. never should have sold the first.. but at the time i needed the money due to a baby.. have had renzetti and a couple of regals.. loved them all for different reasons..

but for productivity and ease of use i will go to the norvise time and time again.. once you get used to the bobbins and the accessories.. (which i am still collecting).. the vise only becomes more and more useful.. its worth every penny.. even if its not as portable as others.. hopefully norm will come up with a weighted base and not a platform like he sells currently.. but on a good note he came up with a c clamp which works very well..

i love the bobbins.. and try the dubbing table.. if you do not use dubbing brushes for your buggers or other flies reconsider.. its super fast and easy.. and durable when you use fine copper wire instead of thread..

watch the videos on you tube.. it will hook you.. litterally.. sic.. lol..

all the best.. pete

I'm rocking a Griffin Patriot right now, its super solid, holds the biggest and smallest hooks extremely well, easily adjustable, and the rotary function is fine. It's not fancy, but it'll last me forever...

A modified Thompson and a Regal. Saving up for my JVise.

I have a Dyna-King Voyager 2, a Dyna-King Trekker and a Dyna-King Kingfisher. All have their uses and all 3 get used.

Mike

Hi Mike. I think based on Charlie Craven's choice of vise I to would prefer Dyna-King, I may be moved toward one. I started on a Thompson A so the affinity for lever action.